Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howdah pistols?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    jim,just looked at the pic of that gun,its a must have item ,no bedside table should be without one,couple drams of black and an ounce of swan shot in each barrel ,settle any dispute..cheers ..greasemonkey
    You're not just whistling Dixie there, GM! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

A cartridge pistol MIGHT be more reliable, but twin tubes of heavy bird or light buck at close range would stop any intruder in his tracks.

But, enough of this, we're a sporting Forum...

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
    when i was a member of the vintage arms asso , a gent turned up at the range with a double barreled origional 577 black powder howdah hammer gun . it was inspected by all and declared fearsom . we all watched him load both barrels carefully . capped and ready to go . cocked only one hammer . and with a two handed stance he took aim at the target on the bank twenty five yards away and squeezed the trigger . the biggest blo-ody bang and flash i have ever seen went off . he staggered back a good three yards into the back wall with a very shocked look on his face . two big greyish circles of smoke folowed the lead down the range . the gun had still been loaded from the last time used . so he had fired double the charge and shot . the detonation had set the other barrel off as well . but when the pistol was inspected it was fine . i woud not like to be a tiger trying to get on the elephant that pistol was on ??? scimitar .
    I've heard of TWO for the price of one, but...

I agree: that tiger would be one hurtin' pussycat.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim,

If you're contect with just one barrel, Lee Jurras built several modernized howdah pistols on the Contender action in the 1980s. I had some contact with Mr Jurras some years ago and he told me that he had stopped making them on a regular basis but that he still had a cuple left at the time. Subsequently, SSK Industries has been building them on the Contender and Encore frames in far more powerful chamberings than were ever made in the old days. The Pedersoli Howdah pistols sold through Cabelas and Dixie Gun Works stateside are nice period pieces, but if you want something really effective, the choice would be to either go to a custom gunmaker building big bore muzzleloaders like Steve Zihn in Wyoming or to have the Contender / Encore versions built but with one less barrel.

Good hunting!
    The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Apparently "Zombie Apocalypse" isn't a good reason to acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by mehulkamdar View Post
    Jim,

If you're contect with just one barrel, Lee Jurras built several modernized howdah pistols on the Contender action in the 1980s. I had some contact with Mr Jurras some years ago and he told me that he had stopped making them on a regular basis but that he still had a cuple left at the time. Subsequently, SSK Industries has been building them on the Contender and Encore frames in far more powerful chamberings than were ever made in the old days. The Pedersoli Howdah pistols sold through Cabelas and Dixie Gun Works stateside are nice period pieces, but if you want something really effective, the choice would be to either go to a custom gunmaker building big bore muzzleloaders like Steve Zihn in Wyoming or to have the Contender / Encore versions built but with one less barrel.

Good hunting!
    Thanks, MHK! If I do get one, I'd go for the muzzleloading version: more in keeping with the spirit of the original.

Jim