Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdah pistols?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Howdah pistols?

The January issue of AMERICAN RIFLEMAN featured a review of the "Dixie Howda Hunter Handgun" - a double-barrelled percussion piece, your choice of two 20 gauge barrels, or one 20 gauge and one rifled .50, or two rifled 50's, or two rifled .58's.

The article said that it weighs slightly over 5 pounds and has a simple brass front bead sight on its 11 1/4 inch barrels. Recoil is light, not surprising, given the weight: accuracy not terrific. With the short barrels and overall length (18 1/2 inches), it's of course a FAC item, whether rifled or smoothbore.

At $675.00 suggested retail, I'm not in any hurry to get one, but was curious whether anyone on the Forum had any experience with it?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim,
    though I am unable to help with the specific issue raised by you, thought I might throw in a movie trivia. You will find a rather interesting Howdah pistol was used by Michael Douglas in the film ‘The Ghost and Darkness’ . It even had a spring bayonet.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...d_the_Darkness

ATB,
    Krish

hi jim,dont have any experience of the dixie pistol but i do own a a howdah pistol, an obsolite calibre double barreled breech loading 20 bore pinfire with rifled barrels... its a most intimidating piece especially looking at it from the buisness end. .i have a double barreled .410 hammer pistol which i use for ratting on the family farm[one of the exemptions from our pistol ban].i imagine shooting a howdah is pretty much like that but with much more bang and recoil...cheers greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    Jim,
    though I am unable to help with the specific issue raised by you, thought I might throw in a movie trivia. You will find a rather interesting Howdah pistol was used by Michael Douglas in the film ‘The Ghost and Darkness’ . It even had a spring bayonet.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title...d_the_Darkness

ATB,
    Krish
    Great stuff, Krish: thank you! I've never heard of that movie: must see it!

I notice that Val Kilmer also starred in the flick. He's one of my favorites, and I mentioned him in a message to the Forum earlier today.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi jim,dont have any experience of the dixie pistol but i do own a a howdah pistol, an obsolite calibre double barreled breech loading 20 bore pinfire with rifled barrels... its a most intimidating piece especially looking at it from the buisness end. .i have a double barreled .410 hammer pistol which i use for ratting on the family farm[one of the exemptions from our pistol ban].i imagine shooting a howdah is pretty much like that but with much more bang and recoil...cheers greasemonkey
    Sounds like a most interesting pistol, GM.

You should post side by side pics of it and of the .410 pistol, for comparison.

Jim

I guess when the tiger is climbing up your elephants back the recoil issue doesnt really worry you. If you didnt hit it with the first shot I dont reckon you'd have time for a second though.

MArk
    My karma ran over your dogma

I emphatically agree about recoil, Mark.

You're probably right about the second shot: but I'd still prefer two-shot capability, if for no other reason than to make me feel better.

Jim

sorry jim,too technically thick to do photos.quite a few british howdah pistols were built using side by side breech opening shotgun actions,made for some pretty looking pistols.speaking of recoil there was an email going about a while back with video footage of some poor simple soul firing a pistol chambered in 600 nitro express[i think].as you can expect the thing threw itself out of his hand nearly wrenching his arm off in the process.i dont know if it was a set up or not but it made pretty dramatic viewing.. cheers..greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    sorry jim,too technically thick to do photos.quite a few british howdah pistols were built using side by side breech opening shotgun actions,made for some pretty looking pistols.speaking of recoil there was an email going about a while back with video footage of some poor simple soul firing a pistol chambered in 600 nitro express[i think].as you can expect the thing threw itself out of his hand nearly wrenching his arm off in the process.i dont know if it was a set up or not but it made pretty dramatic viewing.. cheers..greasemonkey
    You talking about this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHsEojBGojI

thats the one! was he brave or daft or both? bet he didnt have a second go....greasemonkey

Don't worry, GM: I don't know how to post photos, either.

That guy in video was just plain crazy! I hope he was barred from the range.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by chrismetallica1 View Post
    Hi, Chris! I notice that the 20 x 20 version sells for a bit cheaper. That's the one I'd want!

Note the great reviews it received.

Jim

jim,just looked at the pic of that gun,its a must have item ,no bedside table should be without one,couple drams of black and an ounce of swan shot in each barrel ,settle any dispute..cheers ..greasemonkey

Pistol ?

when i was a member of the vintage arms asso , a gent turned up at the range with a double barreled origional 577 black powder howdah hammer gun . it was inspected by all and declared fearsom . we all watched him load both barrels carefully . capped and ready to go . cocked only one hammer . and with a two handed stance he took aim at the target on the bank twenty five yards away and squeezed the trigger . the biggest blo-ody bang and flash i have ever seen went off . he staggered back a good three yards into the back wall with a very shocked look on his face . two big greyish circles of smoke folowed the lead down the range . the gun had still been loaded from the last time used . so he had fired double the charge and shot . the detonation had set the other barrel off as well . but when the pistol was inspected it was fine . i woud not like to be a tiger trying to get on the elephant that pistol was on ??? scimitar .