Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of an early HW35E

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There's a few 35Es around with the same chequering. If it was applied by axe it's some mighty delicate axe work.

Catlover, never heard of the 'Hofmann HW35'. Maybe I.J. has?

Nope, not restored at all.
    hi garvin, i have 3 hw35's with the belly checkering -all pre1970's
    clive

great pics

Quote Originally Posted by cliveyt View Post
    hi garvin, i have 3 hw35's with the belly checkering -all pre1970's
    clive
    Nice one Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by BSAlightning_XL View Post
    great pics
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Nice pics
    I have an early HW brochure similar to the one shown here, but blue...maybe from the 60's, I will take a photo of it and put a link up...
    Look forward to seeing it Scott.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Very nice example of a junior air rifle, Danny .

Looks suspiciously neat but is let down (in your pics anyway) by the obviously Brazilian leather of the sling.

[these weren't approved for import to the UK / GB / Great Britain until 1967] .

Sorry about that.

Here are some pics of a very early Burgo branded HW35E, probably from the late 1950s. The first pic is of the cover of a brochure from around 1958 or 1959, belonging to a US collector, which has an illustration of the first export pattern HW35.

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4
    Pic 5
    Pic 6
    Pic 7
    Pic 8
    Pic 9
    Pic 10
    Pic 11
    Pic 12
    nice pics mate but my export .177 is in my room at home to look at and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by smith View Post
    nice pics mate but my export .177 is in my room at home to look at and shoot
    What a strange post, smith! What do you mean by saying "but" here?

It sounds like you might be saying "I like your pics but I've got my own HW35E, so they're no use to me". In which case, why look at them and why comment?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

What a strange post, smith! What do you mean by saying "but" here?

It sounds like you might be saying "I like your pics but I've got my own HW35E, so they're no use to me". In which case, why look at them and why comment?

no mate was saying nice pic but lucky to own one in .177 but no offence ment at all good thread mate

Quote Originally Posted by smith View Post
    no mate was saying nice pic but lucky to own one in .177 but no offence ment at all good thread mate
    None taken smith. Congrats on owning one too. Top rifles.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

I'm amazed I'm the only guy on here (so it seems) that wouldnt give an HW35 houseroom, it was so far surpassed by the HW80 so many years ago I cant believe its still being manufactured today even with the very same design fault with the barrel catch.

Other than the fact it wasn't a bad first attempt at a powerful spring gun before getting it right properly with the HW80 (which gives it an inherant collector value) why on earth would anyone still buy one today?

Come on 35 evangelists give me even half a good reason why its still a valid production model today?

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    I'm amazed I'm the only guy on here (so it seems) that wouldnt give an HW35 houseroom, it was so far surpassed by the HW80 so many years ago I cant believe its still being manufactured today even with the very same design fault with the barrel catch.

Other than the fact it wasn't a bad first attempt at a powerful spring gun before getting it right properly with the HW80 (which gives it an inherant collector value) why on earth would anyone still buy one today?

Come on 35 evangelists give me even half a good reason why its still a valid production model today?

Richard
    I take your point Richard about the barrel catch and I must admit I've never really got on with the modern HW35s. I only ever had one before, which I sold some years ago without regrets.

On the other hand, this old 4.5mm '50s model has beautiful build quality, some nice old-time detailing and to my eyes looks absolutely stunning. The lock up is tight and it shoots very smoothly, although not powerfully. At about 8 ft/lbs it's well within the design's comfort zone and it hums along with only a gentle nudge of recoil. I won't be swapping it for a newer, higher powered HW35 in a hurry.
    Last edited by Garvin; 23-01-2010 at 12:00 AM.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Old HW Booklet

Heres some pics of that old booklet...took a while to find

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/DSC00340.jpg

more in this folder: http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q.../HW%20Booklet/

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post

Richard
    Interesting. I had the same HW35 for 30+ years then I tried an 80. The 35 has gone and apart from a sentimental twinge has not been missed.

I bought a 30 yr old HW35e this week in .22, i had been looking high alow for one in good condition - i managed to find a minter with 22" barrel and I my thanks go to Chris at Pax guns Archway for his service and hunting down one for me. I must have driven past their shop 500 times and never been in. The shop is a real gem and i would suggest is a gun shop for gentlemen. Anyway i had not owned an air rifle for nearly 20 years and have recently re discovered the passion for the sport after a move to the country.

I found this blog site about stripping down a HW35e which caused me to hunt high and low for the gun i shot as a teenager.

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...ch/label/HW-35

best regards Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Prewar View Post
    Heres some pics of that old booklet...took a while to find

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...t/DSC00340.jpg

more in this folder: http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q.../HW%20Booklet/
    Thanks Scott. I agree that it seems to be from the '60s - or maybe 70s perhaps?

I also have one of those little guarantee/care instruction leaflets. It says "New - Automatic Trigger Safety" on it. Someone (IJ?) could probably date it from that.

The little leaflet contains the following extraordinary instruction "It is forbidden to shoot at song-birds or game; the Diabolo pellet does not kill immediately but the wounded animal only dies days later in extreme pain."
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Hw35

The safety was added to the 35 around 76/77.