Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a gun

Building a gun

Has anyone on here built there own gun from scratch. If so, did you have any plans to work to, or just base it on other guns. Did you buy a complete barrel?

Almost from scratch!

I built myself a late 15th/early 16th C Arquebus when I was a re-enactor. It was mainly for public demos but I have tried it with ball at 50m on occasion.

I wasn't able to do the machining myself. I started with a very heavy barrel turned from solid round bar. I drew up the complete gun in Autocad and then had the barrel machined to a tapered octagon with a flared muzzle.

The stock blank was bandsawed from wood picked out at the timber merchants and was then shaped and the barrel inlet using the old candle black method. The lock, which is a snap matchlock, was sawed, filed, drilled etc from MS stock from a model engineering supplier.

Steve.

This is it being used in a mock battle at Royal Gunpowder Mills.

hthttp://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...vemed/RGPM.jpg

This is obviously far too clumsy and slow for your shotgunning, but if anyone is interested, I still have a spare barrel blank (proofed) the other half of the stock timber and the autocad drawing.....

Steve.

Always fancied building a derringer kit that dixie gun works sell.

It would be interesting to find out if it would be legal to do so and at what point in the construction it would be classed as a firearm and need to be entered onto a ticket.

I made this one myself about 35 years ago - Its a 1/2 size copy of a "Little Ace" derringer. I had no plans just some photos to go on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2Thuer1974.jpg

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I made this one myself about 35 years ago - Its a 1/2 size copy of a "Little Ace" derringer. I had no plans just some photos to go on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2Thuer1974.jpg
    Cute little bugger!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I knew a guy once that made a Colt Cattleman.....he bought an Airfix model and just copied all of the parts in steel.....he never bored out the barrel though and machined the chambers undersized so the it could never chamber a round...made a cracking job of it........at which point does your own manufacture become a firearm and need proofing etc.!!!

I am considering making a punt gun.

Have you seen Chris Greens puntgun? He takes it to gamefairs occasionally. He made it entirely. It is a triple barreled 8 bore SbSbS which fires all three barrels simultaneously, the barrels are slightly splayed to make an oval pattern!

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    I knew a guy once that made a Colt Cattleman.....he bought an Airfix model and just copied all of the parts in steel.....he never bored out the barrel though and machined the chambers undersized so the it could never chamber a round...made a cracking job of it........at which point does your own manufacture become a firearm and need proofing etc.!!!

I am considering making a punt gun.
    was that the colt chambered to shoot brocock tac cartridges??

No it was just a non working steel model...the guy also made model steam engines and the like all in spare time in the workshops that we worked in.

I concentrated at the time in making two stroke working model engines made from scratch.

Triumph, there are punt gun designs in gough thomas' 'shotguns and cartridges'. Well actually there is one design for a screw breech gun

Thanks for that...I'll have to see if I can get a copy of it...

See if you can get a look at chris greens gun too!

Sorry for being slow...but who is Chris Green.

I have had an idea to manufacture punt guns as a bit of a commercial project for a while now...mainly aimed at the American market....I know of guys that have punt building skills as well....so could supply the complete kit.

I would lean towards a breach loader....either screwed or sliding breach.

I have access to good machining facilities so don't see many manufacturing issues.

My last punt gun was 1 3/4" bore ...used on the Lincolnshire marshes...but that was 30 odd years ago.

Regards Dick.

He's the guy who does the pigeon and wildfowling dvds.The Cornish countryman. Westcountry films. There is a dvd available which features his gun, but I don't know for how long. Have a google

You know those foam decoys that flap in the breeze, those are his invention. He is always on the BASC stands at game fairs, and occasionally brings his gun out! At newport he demonstrated loading it, then took his homemade punt out on the lake and fired it! KABOOM

His gun is apercussion muzzle loader

Good luck with your project btw