Thread: Building a gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Building a gun

Has anyone on here built there own gun from scratch. If so, did you have any plans to work to, or just base it on other guns. Did you buy a complete barrel?

Almost from scratch!

I built myself a late 15th/early 16th C Arquebus when I was a re-enactor. It was mainly for public demos but I have tried it with ball at 50m on occasion.

I wasn't able to do the machining myself. I started with a very heavy barrel turned from solid round bar. I drew up the complete gun in Autocad and then had the barrel machined to a tapered octagon with a flared muzzle.

The stock blank was bandsawed from wood picked out at the timber merchants and was then shaped and the barrel inlet using the old candle black method. The lock, which is a snap matchlock, was sawed, filed, drilled etc from MS stock from a model engineering supplier.

Steve.

This is it being used in a mock battle at Royal Gunpowder Mills.

hthttp://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...vemed/RGPM.jpg

This is obviously far too clumsy and slow for your shotgunning, but if anyone is interested, I still have a spare barrel blank (proofed) the other half of the stock timber and the autocad drawing.....

Steve.

Always fancied building a derringer kit that dixie gun works sell.

It would be interesting to find out if it would be legal to do so and at what point in the construction it would be classed as a firearm and need to be entered onto a ticket.

I made this one myself about 35 years ago - Its a 1/2 size copy of a "Little Ace" derringer. I had no plans just some photos to go on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2Thuer1974.jpg

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I made this one myself about 35 years ago - Its a 1/2 size copy of a "Little Ace" derringer. I had no plans just some photos to go on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2Thuer1974.jpg
    Cute little bugger!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by steve medlock View Post
    I started with a very heavy barrel turned from solid round bar. I drew up the complete gun in Autocad and then had the barrel machined to a tapered octagon with a flared muzzle.
    Holy Crapinola Steve you sound like me

I have the Arquebus barrel blank drilled and honed, pictures in AutoCad.

I had to do it when I was pointed at pictures of a genuine arquebus, didn't think any had survived, but there it was.

Slightly tempted to fit an original lock, I have a snapper dated mid to late 15th century by that nice Martin Pegler at the Royal Armories. OTOH it could be the oldest surviving so probably best not

I'm building a Gatling gun from scratch. I've been entering parts on my licence as I finish them. It's taking a long time to do it!