Thread: Mercury

Mercury

At the begining of last year i bought a Mercury,as i had always wanted one and this came up in very good condition. Anyhow i aquired a tuning kit for it and set about the task over the Christmas period. On stripping the rifle i found the piston buffer had broken up. so i bought a new buffer, piston o ring and breech seals from my local gun shop. The inside of the rifle was bone dry, it had never been apart or lubricated. After a bit of polishing of internals and a good clean i reassembled it with correct lubrication, tuning components and new seals. Having put a dozen or so shots through it i decided to see what the results were on the chrono. Well i was quite pleased with the outcome 11.33 on milbro caledonians and 11. 64 on superdomes. It also cocks and shoots silky smooth with little recoil. I purchased a nice Apel one piece mount off IJ and fitted an old jap optic Nikko 4x40 that i have had since the 80s. What has really amazed me is not only how pleasant to shoot this combo is but how accurate. During the 80s and 90s i never got on with springers, always prefering pump ups and pcps to do my hunting with. Well not now!! i cant bring myself to pick the Excalibre or Falcon up when i go out, much prefering the Mercury. In the last two days i have had 5 shots with it between 25 and 35 yds and accounted for 5 woodys, which i find incredible especially so given i am not the best of shots. I can only think i have been missing out all these years.
    The Mercury

A great gun !!! I had a bowkett tuned one in the mid 80's I wish I never
    sold it.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Really interesting thread this, cheers, and perfect for this section imo, as have just read it while drinking a cup of tea, and all in all, this combination of the two (reading this little ditty about an airgun milestone, and supping a brew), has set me up perfectly for the day . Off shooting with my Omega and Longbow now (read freezing my nads off with a couple of Webleys for a few hours), so as to carry the perfect day theme further. Byee . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

the piston buffers in old bsa's always break up at some point.
    happened in a bsa scorpion i had and i had a brass replacement machined by uk neil..the old bsa piston body/buffer is a poor design imho.

however the mercury is 1 of my favourite all time rifles,pleasure to shoot them.
    Last edited by ikarma70; 10-01-2010 at 10:48 AM.

I have the mercury s and find it really nice to shoot with it is one of my favourite guns and I agree very accurate too.

Hi there - glad to see someone else enjoying a Mercury.

I had a similar problem and have just tried to stroke mine using a Robb steel piston head and have managed to screw up the piston itself - didn't drill straight. If someone has a spare piston I would be grateful for a pm.

Many thanks.

Cool

I love old Beezers they're Great!!

i have a few...

Beesas

Beesas

Beesas

Little Beesas

Yup- love 'em to bits

John

EDIT- My Merc is top gun in the second pic

for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I have a BSA Mercury "s" with a really beautifull walnut stock the like of which I have yet to see matched. This also has had a Bowkett conversion albeit many years ago, and shoots as smoothly as any Venom tuned rifle I have used. Also very consistent, giving around 11.5 ft lbs, with very little variation.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    I have a BSA Mercury "s" with a really beautifull walnut stock the like of which I have yet to see matched. This also has had a Bowkett conversion albeit many years ago, and shoots as smoothly as any Venom tuned rifle I have used. Also very consistent, giving around 11.5 ft lbs, with very little variation.
    Cooo- can we see a pic Archie?? (if you have one that is )

airsporter S and mercury S are both on my wishlist for this year

John

Johnbaz, nice collection. I have just found a mk2 Airsporter in my loft although there is one side of the stock missing and it will need a reblue.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Johnbaz, nice collection. I have just found a mk2 Airsporter in my loft although there is one side of the stock missing and it will need a reblue.

Oh dear

the mk1's and mk2's stocks suffer terribly from splitting

i have two mk1 and two mk2, all but one mk1 have had split stocks at some timw, the only one that hasn't suffered this fate is the very dark stocked one in the first pic..

it may be possible to make a new piece of walnut to fit, or failing that you might be able to source a replacement stock from somewhere??

Regards, John

If i manage to sort the stock issue out i will renovate it, but there is not a lot of point doing it without a stock i dont think.

John, I"ll try and get some pics for you, daughter has my digital at the moment so when I eventually get it returned I"ll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlover View Post
    Stumbled across this the other day: http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Air-Rifles/...e.aspx?id=2608

Heathen!???

the mk6 stock won't fit a mk2 without a certain amount of butchery

that did look to be a paechy stock though

John

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    If i manage to sort the stock issue out i will renovate it, but there is not a lot of point doing it without a stock i dont think.
    Hi Jackal, maybe you would consider selling it if you don't do the refurb??

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    John, I"ll try and get some pics for you, daughter has my digital at the moment so when I eventually get it returned I"ll see what I can do.
    At your leisure Archie

Quote Originally Posted by Catlover View Post
    Picked up an 'E' prefix pre-Airsporter CLUB yesterday and have started sanding the stock today to re-furb. Should I stain it or just oil the natural wood....Hmm.....??

Have also started to replicate the etching from photos of the seller's other CLUB so as to laser engrave my re-blued one. I'm creating some of the original BSA lettering pixel by pixel to get a correct digital image for the laser guys.

Also bought a 'ZH' Mercury 'S' yesterday as I'd missed another one needing work. This one has the trigger block top polished and a little blueing rubbed off on the breech block side but should look good after a little work.
    Fired a few test shots and it does seem good to shoot, as some of you told me!

Cat
    Cat- hope the etching thing works for you- if it does will you be taking orders????

Regards, John