Thread: FWB 124 Serial Numbers

FWB 124 Serial Numbers

Does anyone have a serial number chart they can publish so I can know when my FWB 124 was built?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bentleyboy View Post
    Does anyone have a serial number chart they can publish so I can know when my FWB 124 was built?

Thanks
    There isn't a chart for the FWB Sport unfortunately, unlike the FWB match rifles. But quite a few people have contacted FWB direct for dates of manufacture so your best bet is to get as many as possible to post them up.

Even extrapolating dates between known serial numbers is inexact because, it seems, rates of production weren't consistent during the rifle's <15-year(?) run. The first production models seem to have been issued in about 1973 and the last ones some time in the second half of the 1980s.

But it's quite possible there was a slow start and a long tailing off of demand, with a bulge in production between, let's say, 1977 and 1982. Others will have a better idea than me on these dates.

From what I can work out, about five out of six of all FWB Sports were made before the end of 1982, although they were still on sale new in the UK for quite a few years after that.

There's also the complication that the UK distributor and then dealers may have had stock on the shelves for quite some time before the rifles were bought by the end user. So when a rifle was bought new doesn't necessarily say much about when it was made.

Serial numbers checked with FWB and mentioned on forums include:

51631 - 1983
    49992 - Oct 1982
    44001 - Sept 1981
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Mine is a 10012 Serial Number so it must be quite a bit older. Do you know if the numbers are all 5 digit?

Mine is a 10012 Serial Number so it must be quite a bit older. Do you know if the numbers are all 5 digit?
    There is definitely a four digit Sport and it seems quite possible that the numbering started at zero. The lowest number (although in five digits) I've actually seen is a Sport 121 that I sold recently, which was sn. 02903.

BTW, according to this thread BBS member TStray reported that FWB had given him the following dates for Sports:

serial number 5974 manufactured in 1980
    serial number 17023 manufactured in December 1978
    serial number 52589 manufactured in May 1983

But I believe the 5974 date is probably wrong (maybe they accidentally looked under 25974?) since all the others that have come back from FWB support sequential numbering.

This thread is making me sound a lot more nerdy than I actually am.

Well, a bit more anyway.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks. I'm going to e-mail FWB and see what I get back from them.

Mine is from 1977

Just got this message back and thought I would share it with the forum.

We refer to your email dated January 15, 2010 and are sorry having to inform you that we do not have any longer any spare parts for the air rifle Mod.124 Sport available. Please be informed

that your air rifle with the serial number 10012 was manufactured in 1977.

Perhaps our representative in Canada help you :

Cibles Canada Target

181, Saint-Henri

Hull (Québec) J8X 4J6

tel. 001 / 819-778-8857

fax 001 / 819-778-2647

e-mail: cct@videotron.ca

web www.targets.ca

I also emailed Feinwerkbau to ask them for the dates of serial numbers at intervals of 5,000 between zero and 60,000. Unfortunately they declined () but did confirm that manufacturing of the Sport took place between 1973 and 1989.

We refer to your email dated January 15, 2010.

Please be informed that the Feinwerkbau air rifle Mod. Sport was manufactured between the years 1973 and 1989. This is correct.

However information regarding manufacturing dates with serial numbers from 0, 5.000, 10.000, 15.000... cannot be given.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen | Best regards

Abteilung Verkauf | Sales (RA/mk)

FEINWERKBAU
    Westinger & Altenburger GmbH
    Neckarstr. 43
    78727 Oberndorf
    Telefon: +49 7423 814 – 0
    Fax: +49 7423 814 – 223
    E-Mail: info@feinwerkbau.de
    http://www.feinwerkbau.de
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Maybe they feel like they are being pestered about things. It would seem to me that they could put such a list on their website in an archive section and be done with it once and for all!

Maybe they feel like they are being pestered about things. It would seem to me that they could put such a list on their website in an archive section and be done with it once and for all!
    they dont really seem to care that they built one of the best sporting rifles ever made do they

The direction of the company is definately on a different course. I work for a car company that is constantly bringing the past forward in marketing and our customers are drawn to the heritage as much as the current product.

Just had my recently acquired 124 number 34476 dated as September 1980.
    Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I have a recently purchased FWB 124 with the Serial number of 01202, so I gather from the above, that this will have been produced 1973/74??
    Eric
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

Eric, just email FWB. You will get a reply within a couple of days probably. Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    I have a recently purchased FWB 124 with the Serial number of 01202, so I gather from the above, that this will have been produced 1973/74??
    Eric
    the 121 you just bought off me is 01374

fwb 7347 was made in 1976 i bought it new

Thanks
    Dear Mr. Dano,

Thank you for your email dd. May 07th, 2015.

Please note that the year of manufacture of your model Sport with the serial number 7347 is 1976.

If you have any further queries please feel free to get in contact with us at any time.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With best regards

i. A. Sarah Siepmann

Verkauf / Sales