Thread: Is it sacrilege? ...

Is it sacrilege? ...

.....to fit a modern scope to a classic gun?

I'm shortly getting my hands on a couple of Webley Omega's, and while one is a minter that will stay that way, the other is a renovation project, that I intend to use, when it's sorted.

What's the accepted norm, guys?

Cheers

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi. I Top my Omega with a modern Bushnell as quality should attract quality, and even though the scope is new(ish), it is imo, in keeping with the rifle generically, and after all, if you intend using your Omega scoped, you want a good scope, so as to enjoy the rifle's proper potential (I employ the same philosophy for many of my scoped collectables ). Hope this helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Depends what you call a 'vintage' scope. Most of the 4 x 20 and 4 x 15 scopes are only fit for the bin while the early Tasco range (AG, FM etc), will grace any modern rifle and then theres Kassnar, Nikko Sterling, etc.. They do still appear now and again in the For Sale section.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Thanks guys..... I think it'll be something modern for the 'user' gun and I'll keep my eyes open for something special for the 'minter'

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Sportsmatch still do the FWB/Omega one piece mount. The odd Omega were still selling off a dusty shelf in 1991 which means a White Tail Classic (1993??) would still be fine. Some of the better old scopes were built well enough to cope with the spring. So look out for something in the 3-9 x40 or 6x40 old Tasco or Nikko or Optima. The earlier the better 1885. If not for a mint rifle then good old scopes do come up with a superficial scratch or two. ??x40 are just right to keep the excellent balance; even a 4x40 as these rifles are not that forgiving and by shooting them with lowish magnification they seem better, well less frustrating.

I think its a much better option than sticking on something modern.

I'm still looking for a mint .177 Omega, have two non mint .22's.

It makes my teeth ache...

to see a whacking gert AO, IR etc, etc scope on a springer, especially an older springer.

I would think Low Mass, Low Height & Least number of Moving Parts should be the criteria for a springer scope & I doubt if anything more than 6x is needed on a Hunting gun.

The older, simpler scopes are usually quicker to 'come to the eye', I'm very happy with my Leupold 4x32 M8 compact atop the Diana 52 (both from the same period -1989).

I have recently aquired a tasco world class plus scope ( early one with the jap optics) and can recommend them. Optics are superb and the gloss finish seems to look right on an older gun mine is sat on top of a FWB sport 124.
    Keep an eye on the sale section on here as they appear quite regular

Cheers guys - I'm wishing I hadn't sold my old 'Venom' badged 3-9x40 a couple of years back now

It would have fit right in!!

Dunk

And it would have made double what the glass was worth.

Go on..... make me feel better