Thread: dry firing effecting accuracy??

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!

dry firing effecting accuracy??

will dry firing a ssp effect the accuracy??
    just wondering as i had a little go at dry firing the other day and now i cant seem to get my hw40 to group.
    is it the pistol or me?
    i thought it wouldn't effect things
    cheers
    sol
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Shouldn't do, but if you have been fully cocking the pistol the firing cycle can be a lttle more aggressive and something may have loosened (e.g. barrel clamp screws)
    On my FAS you only had to crack the top lever a short way to cock the hammer without filling the cylinder dunno if the HW40 is the same, but it's gentler on the gun without the damping effect of the pellet.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...
    It's never had any ill effects on my Beeman P17.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Shouldn't do, but if you have been fully cocking the pistol the firing cycle can be a lttle more aggressive and something may have loosened (e.g. barrel clamp screws)
    On my FAS you only had to crack the top lever a short way to cock the hammer without filling the cylinder dunno if the HW40 is the same, but it's gentler on the gun without the damping effect of the pellet.
    You can do the same with the HW40. Just go about halfway and then close. It won't shoot any air, but will set the hammer and the trigger so you can dry fire it.

HTH

Mark

Garry is online now I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Same with my Gamo Compact. Open halfway to set the trigger. I asked this when I first got it, and general opinion was that dry firing an SSP was ok.

Dry Firing

Up until lately I would have been with Gary P,

As a born again I have only been around airguns for about 4 years and still learning,

A Gent explained to me that he has found that firing an SSP/PCP with either a pellet or a cleaning felt keeps the seals in place and sets the valves involved in the proper manner, he had been around airguns from word one,

I now follow his practise and have found that my PCP/SSP are more consistent, that coupled with cleaning all my barrels after each use means I have no or few fliers,

This is more noteable in Pistol accuracy,

Myth Or Good Luck? It's your call

I'd have said not, but it is possible that the lack of back pressure could affect the seals in the main valve. I've not had a problem with my HW75.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Thumbs up Dry Fire ?

I dry fire my Beeman p17, & other pistols on a daily basis, & have done for years
    I've never had a problem from doing so...mike...

I dry-fire my HW40 a lot, as I have to wait for the neighbours upstairs to go out until I can live-fire. It makes no difference to accuracy at all whether I do half-cock trigger practice, or full-cock blank firing, it still comes up spot-on after about five live rounds.