Thread: .25 sub 12ft/lb

.25 sub 12ft/lb

Has anyone done any long range plinking with an under 12ft/lb airrifle in .25 - - spring,co2 or pcp ?
    " WHEN YOU'RE GOING TO SHOOT - SHOOT , DON'T TALK ! "

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Many moons ago when multi-line/dot reticles were rare. Very hard work unless you adjusted your zero for that long range. Trying to use holdover was a waste of time.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

.25 target

Just as I was trying out a .25 the other day at 'normal' airgun range - not really trying hard and was (after I realised how far away the target was - paced it out ) surprised at the accuracy . And was using open sights at the time . Seem to remember growing up with a lot of gabble from experts telling me not to try using a .25 for anything more than 15metres
    Will try out a decent scope and wash and clean the pellets before trying next time . Just was pleasantly surprised

when i took my hw97k .25down the club, it quite easily dropped targets at 30+ yards(after a bit of practice).that was with a wtc 1.5-5x20 fitted
    SUPPORT THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN OR LIVE IN THE COUNTRY YOU SUPPORT......SIMPLES

Nice

Will try and get down to Mendip or Devizes Range with a friend and do some more serious plinking sessions . I know every airgun is different but can you remember what pellets you were using ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    Will try and get down to Mendip or Devizes Range with a friend and do some more serious plinking sessions . I know every airgun is different but can you remember what pellets you were using ?
    HN FTT...enjoy
    SUPPORT THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN OR LIVE IN THE COUNTRY YOU SUPPORT......SIMPLES

I'll dig these out ....

..have a few tins , but was disappointed that they were deformed . Used them only for chrono sessions then back in the drawer . The skirts are very thin . Also found the tin was full of little 'bits' of lead swarf . . Mind I have acquired a better .25 sizer , and will clean them up . I tried the Webley Mossie's in my Airsporter which from memory are lighter and was quite chuffed at the results .

want a few sample pellets?

I regularly use my BSA XL Tactical .25 for ferals and rats around farm buildings - fitted with WTC 1.5 to 5 x 20.

Accurate to 30 metres as long as you can get the distance right - 1" groups @ 30 metres is usual.

Had to go thru a lot of different pellets (and size them) to find best match - ordered several .25 calibre pellet ranges from the US, such as H&N Wadcutters that REALLY blast the ferals and rats off the rafters.

I stick with H&N Wadcutters, BSA Pylarm and Paragon Z25's.

Happy to send you a range of pellets (20 of each) if it helps you find a good match. Do you have a sizer, in case they're too tight in the barrel - BSA barrels way too tight generally for unsized pellets.
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

Quote Originally Posted by Arch.Stanton? View Post
    Just as I was trying out a .25 the other day at 'normal' airgun range - not really trying hard and was (after I realised how far away the target was - paced it out ) surprised at the accuracy . And was using open sights at the time . Seem to remember growing up with a lot of gabble from experts telling me not to try using a .25 for anything more than 15metres
    Will try out a decent scope and wash and clean the pellets before trying next time . Just was pleasantly surprised
    I'm obviously pleased that it works for you BUT my question is always what ADVANTAGE does .25 offer over say a .22?
    My own view is that .25 is really only suitable for FAC power levels because at shorter ranges the .25, whilst accurate if you have estimated the range correctly, is still far too loopy for my taste. The obvious use for .25 is short range ratting and squirrelling up trees. In both of those activities, I have found that a 22 is just as effective and more forgiving.
    Still you enjoy it which is great.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Actual Useage

R'Nick understand and would probably agree if I was really out hunting .
    I plink and do informal target in main so enjoy the challenge of that big 1/4" lump hitting the target at whatever range . When I started this thread I mentioned that I was using open sights . Its amazing what people could achieve in the past with open sights with or without peep apertures etc . because thats all they had . With Airsporters or at least my late version you have enough (as I have just found out ) leeway with front foresight blade adjustment for height and rear Williams sight , with only lateral movement . The interchangeable rear sight does have the extra tall sight blade mind .
    Was hitting my target at 35 yards offhand using the sight picture provided with this set up . Just plinking and not really trying - so groups were spread a bit and nothing to boast off , but was chuffed to bits .

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    I'm obviously pleased that it works for you BUT my question is always what ADVANTAGE does .25 offer over say a .22?
    My own view is that .25 is really only suitable for FAC power levels because at shorter ranges the .25, whilst accurate if you have estimated the range correctly, is still far too loopy for my taste. The obvious use for .25 is short range ratting and squirrelling up trees. In both of those activities, I have found that a 22 is just as effective and more forgiving.
    Still you enjoy it which is great.
    Reason I use .25 sub 12 ft/lb is that when rat-blatting or fragging ferals inside the stores and barns, etc the .25 doesn't have the tendancy to effect a thru and thru wound and pop neat little holes thru the sides of the barn or the asbestos and clear plastic panels in the roof.

Also using .25 Wadcutters invariably means that when I hit them on the rafters they're knocked clean off onto the floor, alternative is clambering around with a dodgy ladder and climbing up to get them down.

Totally agree that non-fac .25's are not generally for long range accuracy, but for clearing rats and ferals inside buildings they're ideal for the job - only comparative tool (IMHO) are .22 shotshells, as they equally won't penetrate the backdrop - but play hell with a rifled barrel, and even with a smoothbore .22 I found some shot bounced around the inside of the moddie like a pinball machine.
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

Quote Originally Posted by Matou View Post
    Reason I use .25 sub 12 ft/lb is that when rat-blatting or fragging ferals inside the stores and barns, etc the .25 doesn't have the tendancy to effect a thru and thru wound and pop neat little holes thru the sides of the barn or the asbestos and clear plastic panels in the roof.

Also using .25 Wadcutters invariably means that when I hit them on the rafters they're knocked clean off onto the floor, alternative is clambering around with a dodgy ladder and climbing up to get them down.

Totally agree that non-fac .25's are not generally for long range accuracy, but for clearing rats and ferals inside buildings they're ideal for the job - only comparative tool (IMHO) are .22 shotshells, as they equally won't penetrate the backdrop - but play hell with a rifled barrel, and even with a smoothbore .22 I found some shot bounced around the inside of the moddie like a pinball machine.
    I used to use a .25 Supersport years ago with open sights and a pit caplamp on a cutdown safety helmet for the same reasons ..very effective in pig stys at night ,i used Milbro Rhino..which i believe the original BSA barrels were chambered for.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

I my experiance it is dificult to get a sub 12 .25 to group properly over 30 yd and I tried evert pellet available. This combined with the drop means long range sub 12 .25 would be a non starter.
    I think the FAC boys fair better in .25
    Make every shot count.

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by [COLOR="Black"
    Falcon25;4098489]I my experiance it is dificult to get a sub 12 .25 to group properly over 30 yd and I tried evert pellet available. This combined with the drop means long range sub 12 .25 would be a non starter.
    I think the FAC boys fair better in .25
    [/COLOR]

O' yes, we definetly are.
    Now theres a man who knows a thing or two about .25's.
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

Does washing the pellets have that much of an effect with regards to distance?