Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: original mod 35 problem

original mod 35 problem

have a bent barrel on the above rifle what i found advertised in a local rag,
    i believe it to be an early version with the raised foresight and heavily checkered stock, my question is. can the barrel be straightened or better to find a decent 2nd hand one, also does anyone know how the foresight is taken off the barrel, it looks like its held on from the crown end with a screwed ring but not to sure about this.
    without taking it apart at this time what is the chamber diameter on this as it looks as wide as an hw80 if not larger.

Hi There, if you could post pics, you would get sorted with what model you have, and help stripping, Cheers Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by legionaire View Post
    Hi There, if you could post pics, you would get sorted with what model you have, and help stripping, Cheers Tim.
    hi took some piccys but dont know how to load on.
    can anyone help in this regard
    Last edited by 1984; 17-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Hey up mate

I had a HW35E that suffered terribly from the Weihrauch droop so badly that at 30yds the rifle was shooting a foot high even with the scope set as low as it would go AND with packing strips under the scope in the rear mount

i used two pieces of angle iron and some bits of 2"x1" pine and kept winding the vice in a little then trying it with a straightedge until it was straight again...

you can clearly see a dark shadow to one side when you look down the bore, once the barrel is straight again, the shadow dissappears

Nice guns the Original 35

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hey up mate

I had a HW35E that suffered terribly from the Weihrauch droop so badly that at 30yds the rifle was shooting a foot high even with the scope set as low as it would go AND with packing strips under the scope in the rear mount

i used two pieces of angle iron and some bits of 2"x1" pine and kept winding the vice in a little then trying it with a straightedge until it was straight again...

you can clearly see a dark shadow to one side when you look down the bore, once the barrel is straight again, the shadow dissappears

Nice guns the Original 35

John
    hi, looks like this one has been fired with the barrel cocked can clearly see the upward bend in the barrel without sighting down the bore,
    thinking maybe unless a replacement can be found getting something like an old relum barrel and having a go at turning that down to match the 35.

It does sound as if there might be nothing to lose by trying to straighten it... or get it straightened.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    hi, looks like this one has been fired with the barrel cocked can clearly see the upward bend in the barrel without sighting down the bore,
    thinking maybe unless a replacement can be found getting something like an old relum barrel and having a go at turning that down to match the 35.
    Set barrelblock in a decent bolted down benchvise with soft metal jaw inserts or similar as to prevent outer damage, grip end of barrel with both hands (hand on hand) and PULL!
    If finnicky, use a ringspanner or similar on the barrel (with some leather or cloth) so in theory you will not bend a 'straight' in de last 10-15 cm of the barrel.

Be disciplined and check frequently (with a staight edge), as to prevent going too far and to get a 'feel' on how hard to pull.
    Contrary to what most people think, these barrels bend rather easy, as you present 'problem' attests.

Good luck, Mike

Most gunsmiths will straighten a barrel for you, its not an unusual job for them.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Meijer View Post
    Set barrelblock in a decent bolted down benchvise with soft metal jaw inserts or similar as to prevent outer damage, grip end of barrel with both hands (hand on hand) and PULL!
    If finnicky, use a ringspanner or similar on the barrel (with some leather or cloth) so in theory you will not bend a 'straight' in de last 10-15 cm of the barrel.

Be disciplined and check frequently (with a staight edge), as to prevent going too far and to get a 'feel' on how hard to pull.
    Contrary to what most people think, these barrels bend rather easy, as you present 'problem' attests.

Good luck, Mike
    id have ago if anyone could tell me how to get the foresight off.

I have a Webley falcon that was obviously fired from the cocked position and the barrel was pointing up hill.
    This was easily corrected simply by cocking and then increasing the pressure on the barrel until it became straight (bit of a bum twitcher though) but nothing to loose!

Mike

original 35

to get the sight of just undo the screw in the sight to back off the gripper then it should slid of .kind regards mark

Quote Originally Posted by royalscotsgrays View Post
    to get the sight of just undo the screw in the sight to back off the gripper then it should slid of .kind regards mark
    hi not that kind of sight, there is no screws to undo, its on a raised block what looks like held on with a threaded ring at the end of the barrel but not sure about this.

Barrel,

Hi Mate,
    If you will post the barrel to me, i will straighten it for you in my works, No problems what so ever, contact scanman on here and he will tell you what i can do. if you want to that is, i do not want paying just include return postage. Let us no, cheers Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    have a bent barrel on the above rifle what i found advertised in a local rag,
    i believe it to be an early version with the raised foresight and heavily checkered stock, my question is. can the barrel be straightened or better to
    Does the stock on your 35 look like the one on THIS rifle which is an Original Mod 50B? It looks like an explosion in a chequering factory. If it does you have the rarer mod. 35 B

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Does the stock on your 35 look like the one on THIS rifle which is an Original Mod 50B? It looks like an explosion in a chequering factory. If it does you have the rarer mod. 35 B

ATB
    Ian
    yes it does, and it has a high foresight and a large back sight which looks like it can be fitted to scope position.
    got some pictures but dont know how to add them on.
    Regards
    Last edited by 1984; 18-01-2010 at 12:31 AM.