Thread: Theoben .22 SLR88 Imperator

Theoben .22 SLR88 Imperator

I've just bought a Theoben SLR88 Imperator .22 In a nice lefthand Walnut stock. I can't seem to find out much information about this rifle. I looked on the web. Does anyone on here, own or no anything about this Theoben?

I've emailed Theoben, to see what they can tell me.

All Theobens are awful leaky nightmares

That said I had an SLR88 underlever, gas ram, dodgy magazine but I suppose accurate with reasonable woodwork

Usual iffy Theoben blueing with the red tint from being blacked too hot

What specifically would you like to know?

I understand they are quite sought after (by other people) now.

Rich
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

slr88

I used to have one, and it was ok

They are the predecessor to the slr 98, and were ceased from production due to them being too costly to make, i.e - too many different moving parts.
    CNC machinery made the slr98 more cost productive.

Theobens are ' marmite ' guns, collectable by some people, the '88 is one of theobens more collectable ones.

Personally i would consider buying another in the future, i preferred it to my slr98, if a slr88 ultra compact with a thumbhole stock came up - in .177.., quite unlikely though...

Leaky rams are an issue, gunsmiths generally do not want to work on them, but if you have a good one then they're lovely

I gave mine away... couldn't get the ram to work... or someting Like that.... Sam of Manchester airgun fame couldn't even get it to work...

I had this one out at the weekend, work's fine. Whats the screw at the back of the breach block for? Was the Imperator a limited production run?

What is the screw for, at the back of the breach block, is it for adjusting the power? At the moment, this thing is whacking a target at 35 yards. Just got an email back from Hugh Taylor, saying what a lovely rifle it is. One of Theoben's most inovitive rifles.

If it's the same design as on the Fenman/Sirocco/Evolution, it is a cover screw over the inlet valve. That's where you connect the pump if the ram needs topping up.
    David
    Old Dog Learning New Tricks

www.lomil.co.uk