Thread: Webley Senior Power

Webley Senior Power

Hi
    Just bought a 1953 Webley Senior .177 from a friend and there doesn't seem much power. I am going to buy a new mainspring and was wondering what ft./lbs power these were rated at when new and what should I achieve with today's springs. The phosphor bronze piston ring is in good condition.
    Many Thanks
    Dave
    Last edited by Anchorman; 18-01-2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: added details

Webley

Most Webley's of this type and age suffer from leaking rear end of barrel seals
    and old and gluey lube,

There are Gunsmiths out there that can supply spares to overcome leaky seals,

Stripping a Webley is fairly easy,

Gently knock out any pins holding shrouding if any, release the barrel from the rear catch (ensuring it is not cocked) and remove the front retaining screw,

Draw the front of the barrel upwards and pull gently backwards to release the cocking arm and foot from its groove,

The slotted fore end of the pistol can now be unscrewed using a piece of wood slotted into the recess where the barrel fore end and retaining screw went,

cover the gun with an old towel and unscrew the end cap this will catch any bits that may go Boing!

Withdraw all the interior gubbins, the piston may well be the solid felt type thats the only one I have come up against?

Clean all the old lube off inside and out Gun oil is fine for this,

Dry off and there might be screams! of Luddite here, but most of the bearing surfaces are simple plain bearings which need to be lubed with thick oil, as grease will simply shear off and bung up bits without lubing resulting in wear,

I use OEP Hyp*id 90 gear oil mixed with Molysl*p, plenty soaked into the felt piston,

I have a 53 Webley Junior it is serviced in this manner, shoots great and has never needed a new part...Yet!

Felt pistons???? Early Webley pistols (Mk1s) have leather washers, Seniors have a bronze piston ring, Premiers, Tempests and Hurricanes have white plastic piston heads.

Most Webleys benefit from a good rub with Molybdenum paste (like Abbey GN) on the inside of the cylinder, inside and outside of the piston, spring guide, and on the trigger parts. Proper moly gun grease is fine on the spring and dampens out the twang a bit. I've used this lubrication method on a load of Webley pistols, my own and other people's and I and them have always been well pleased with the results. They're smoother lubed this way and feel like they'll last longer and wear less than when lubed with oil alone.

Does anyone know what ft/lbs rating I should expect from this pistol ????
    Cheers
    Dave

Anywhere between 2.5 to around 3.5 ft/lbs is fine for these.