Thread: Remington 870 supermag 3 1/2" 12g in Camo

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters

Remington 870 supermag 3 1/2" 12g in Camo

I got this the week before last from Helston Gunsmiths here in Cornwall.

It is as described in the title. I had a Mossberg 500 pump before, and that is what I will compare it to.

The build quality and "feel" of the gun are great. If you shake it, there are no rattles. If you've had a mossy, you'll know its hard to walk quietly with one!

The vented rib has twin beads, which help me a lot as I'm left eye/right handed. The butt pad is large and soft, which help reduce felt recoil a lot. There are 3 chokes included and a camo sling, which was a bonus.

My first shots were as soon as I'd loaded up at a local permission I had. I walked thru into the first field from the yard and a group of feral pigeons leapt up about 20 yds away. After a few seconds to let them get some altitude, 3 quick shots resulted in 4 dead pigeons, a great start!

It was fantastic, the gun just seems to fit and feels really natural in the swing with reloading happening on a subconcious level. I know a lot of people don't like the trombone guns, but with just a little practice they are every bit as quick as a semi in real life and they never jam.

On the whole, it feels better made and more comfortable than the mossy, although that was a good few years old. I've put around 120 carts thru so far, and see a long and happy relationship stretching on into the future.

The total package cost just £435 brand new, but be quick! These are alledgedly being cleared at this price to make way for a new model, and should be seriously considered if you want a reliable waterfowling or rough gun.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......
    Nice choice mate
    Mark

I bought an older 2nd hand Remmy 870 Wingmaster recently. I'm really liking getting used to it, but the first couple of outings had a few "WTF?" moments after forgetting to cycle between shots!

As said, they'll cycle any round, and are very solidly made guns.

If I had some cash, i'd definitely be getting one of the newer models, especially at that price!

They are the Express models though, not the Wingmaster.

I found I didnt like the middle bead, I've currently got a Easyhit sight on mine as I tend to lift my head on the Remington, and the Easyhit keeps it in place.
    Mark

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    They are the Express models though, not the Wingmaster.

I found I didnt like the middle bead, I've currently got a Easyhit sight on mine as I tend to lift my head on the Remington, and the Easyhit keeps it in place.
    I've been looking at one of those too. I'll see how the double bead goes when I take it out for clays, but I am tempted.

Does anyone use their pump for clays? What's the etiquette? Do you still shout "pull", or does "Die motherf*cker!" go better?
    God rest ye jelly mental men

You lot DO get carried away

I've used both my pumps many times for clays. Best I've managed is 23/25 on skeet and 71/100 at sporting at Horne, and 43/50 at sporting at my local club.

Not as hard as you think. The main comment I've had is "why do you want to make it harder for yourself?"

My answer is "cos I want to"
    Mark

steven67 Guest

remington 870 supermag 3 1/2

i have had mine for about 6 yrs its 3 1/2 in in camo with a 26in brls, i use it for every thing ,no prob's what so ever,but be warned they don't like 2 1/2 ins cartages ,2 3/4 and up work great . I tried the new remington 887 mag the other day in a local gun shop , thats all i say is nice bit of kit and a little bit better balance than my 870 its also rubber coated ,but still very slim and much better than the nova i think ,but then i am a remington fan anyway .