Thread: .22 short - Any good?

.22 short - Any good?

I've got 500 .22 short rounds - just bought a free pistol and they came together.

Are they any good? Should I forget them and get some .22lr ?

McT

I've used RWS shorts in my .22" L.R Henry underlever. A good round and only around 30ft.lb as compared to around 106ft.lb of l.r sub's.

However. Prolonged use in a standard l.r rifle can cause the breech to go oval as the shorts can occilate in the breech a ware it oval.

Chris.
    Far too many rifles & pistols to mention here.

I would be very inclined to just shoot them off. What is your pistol chambered for?

Quote Originally Posted by McTrucky View Post
    I've got 500 .22 short rounds - just bought a free pistol and they came together.

Are they any good? Should I forget them and get some .22lr ?

McT
    I would not use them, you should try and use S & K pistol match or pistol king if you are not batch testing, if you can not find them then I would use eley team.

I use batch tested tenx in my morini free pistol.

Mc Trucky,as someone already said they can damage your chamber after prolonged use by causing a ring of carbon to form ahead of the case.It can be a real pain in the ass to get rid of it afterwards and it can even leave the area pitted.
    If you want to sell the rounds I would buy them off you as I have a gun which is chambered only for shorts and they are getting harder to buy around these parts. Pat.

Thanks All,

Consensus arrived at is - Why risk using them, ain't going to learn anything...

So, I've offered them to my local club - if they don't have a use for them they are all yours 'frontend loader'.

I need to give it a few days for the club to respond - so PM me later this week and if I've still got them we can sort something out.

Cheers
    McT

If you have invested in a free pistol get the best from it with decent ammo. Dont risk compromising the gun for the future with incorrect ammo.
    Make every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon25 View Post
    If you have invested in a free pistol get the best from it with decent ammo. Dont risk compromising the gun for the future with incorrect ammo.
    was the gun new? if not has any damage been done? as if it came with shorts then presumably it has been used with shorts?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby