Thread: ? regarding power of gun = maximum kill distance

rudy Guest

Question ? regarding power of gun = maximum kill distance

Hi I know if you cant hit a kill zone it doesnt matter how powerful your gun is, but if you can shoot within an inch cirlce with a standard rifle 12ftlb at 30yards and have a kill what is the distance when your gun out put power is 20ftlb/25ftlb/30ftlb etc how do you decide when you get your gun fac at what power to have it??????
    just thought i would ask as soon hope to get mine done and hadnt a clue
    thanks Rudy
    yep meant yards cheers
    Last edited by rudy; 11-10-2004 at 10:33 PM.

zooankski Guest
    i based my FAC MFR power on a ratio of power to shots per charge and 24 ftlb was right for me even though i could have had it higher.i take it you mean 30 yards and not feet for your inch circle?i am shooting rabbits up to 60 yards now although i will admit to using a bipod for that type of distance!

rudy Guest
    come on people need some more info please
    how many shots per fill, how far etc etc etc

Gary C Guest
    You just had all the information.

It's a trade off between power and shots per charge.

If you take 70 yards as being a reasonable maximum kill range for a 30ft/lb airgun with aa fields (on a windless day I can do a rabbit head group - any wind and I'm screwed).

I tend to limit 24ft.lbs to 60 yards.

So if you take this as a reasonable start point then look at each gun and see what SPF you get. Rapid will be say 40, BSA say 30, AA say 20 (in proportion).

A Ripper will give 40 shots at 40ft.lbs if you can afford the price and heft the weight.

I advise :
    1. Pick a gun
    2. Look for 30 ft lbs
    3. Check how many SPF

if SPF is too low - either go up a gun or drop down to 24.

(I use a rapid and S10 at 30 ft/lbs and a Harrier X at 24)

As you have already stated it doesn't mean anything if you can't hit the target. At FAC levels above 22-24 ftlb power ceases to mean anything other than flatter and faster as at 25.5ftlb the pellet can still have over 12ftlb left at 100yds IF you can hit the target!. In other words the power of the rifle has ceased to be a limiting factor at humane ranges, it's down to you and the accuracy of your combo. Have a play with Chairgun!

Forgot to mention
    Ben Taylor MFR in .22 running at 25.5ftlb with JSBs, 27.5ftlb with Bis Mags, and 30ftlb with Dae Sungs.

50 shots from a 248bar fill

I use the JSBs or variants cuz speed is king!
    Last edited by stevew71; 12-10-2004 at 02:27 PM.
    I'm telling you it moved!

Shaggy Guest
    The only limit on effective hunting distances is the Hunter himself.
    as Steve & Gary said in FAC mode it's more a case of user error then equiptment.

I have Effective Killin Distances, however they are not all the same.
    conditoins at the time the shot is about to be take it the main factor here, more so then the ft lb's the pellet will do.

I can perform better with some of my rifles then others, e.g. EKD is varierable with each Rifle becasue of how I intereact with them. The only way to suss this out with you & your kit is time & a fair bit of effort, no one else can do it for you as their results could possbly be diffrent to yours.

ATB

Darren

My MKIII Daystate is giving me 60 shots at 24.5 ft lbs. This is from a 3000 PSI fill.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com

rudy Guest
    cheers for all the replys lads, my question was a simply one
    if you have a fac gun at what range does the pellet looses its killing power. thats all. all the other stuff yeah fair enough but i was just trying to see if their was an equation out there like you would use to find out the power of your rifle. but my question has been answered so i would like to say ta very much.

Shaggy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rudy
    cheers for all the replys lads, my question was a simply one
    if you have a fac gun at what range does the pellet looses its killing power. thats all. all the other stuff yeah fair enough but i was just trying to see if their was an equation out there like you would use to find out the power of your rifle. but my question has been answered so i would like to say ta very much.
    Rudy, it depends on the pellet & power they only way to truely know is to put a Chrony out at set distances? to establish what you want to know EKD. If you have come across any other ways? I'd be interested in hearing about it m8
    ATB~

Darren

rudy Guest
    no sorry mate just hoped that there would be a mathimatical answer. hint hint and math genius out there

Quote Originally Posted by stevew71
    !

Ben Taylor MFR in .22 running at 25.5ftlb with JSBs, 27.5ftlb with Bis Mags, and 30ftlb with Dae Sungs.

50 shots from a 248bar fill
    Are you sure about the pressure ? 248 Bar from a 200 Bar Bottle ? Is it safe ?

Len
    Theory Men: They all know how it should work but it doesn't
    Practice Men: Everything works but nobody knows how

Arrow Actually various compulsive/retentive types have already measured...

...the velocity retention (i.e., resistance to air drag) of various pellets - usually called "Ballistic Coefficient" - and tablulated the result. Of course the likelihood is that the pellet YOU want is either not on the list - or there but under some other badge, but such is life.

Here's the best one I know of:

http://www.computer4me.com/airgunjournal/pellet.cfm

Then - online calculators are available to predict velocity at any point downrange, given MV and BC.

http://69.6.222.74/airgunjournal/calc_fpes.cfm?

Alternatively, given MV, BC, and a predetermined velocity/energy, some will predict the range where retained V drops to the predetermined number.

http://69.6.222.74/airgunjournal/calc_range.cfm?

I've even made an attempt (which seems to match actual field results pretty well - bird and beast) to relate velocity, pellet weight, and caliber to wound penetration depth...

http://69.6.222.74/airgunjournal/calc_wchannel.cfm?

Should serve as a rough guide, anyway.

Steve
    Last edited by pneuguy; 13-10-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Are you sure about the pressure ? 248 Bar from a 200 Bar Bottle ? Is it safe ?

Len
    Yup it's not a 200bar bottle, and I have the paperwork stating advised fill pressure (don't get many charges from an 8l 300bar bottle mind )
    I'm telling you it moved!

Hi Steve
    Are you running a custom tube on the Rapid or a higher pressure bb.
    MkII in girly cal as flat as you can get at 24ftlb

Neil