Thread: FWB 300S or Walther LGR

FWB 300S or Walther LGR

I'd like to add a target rifle to my collection and have (probably) narrowed my choice down to the above rifles.
    I've read all I can find on t'internet and must admit I'm leaning towards the 300S, owning a FWB 65 I know how good the action is, but, is the ssp LGR perhaps the way to go?
    Which is the more reliable and easiest to maintain are my main criteria as they both seem as if they're way above my shooting ability!..
    All opinions gratefully received!!..
    Eric.

Quote Originally Posted by eredel View Post
    I'd like to add a target rifle to my collection and have (probably) narrowed my choice down to the above rifles.
    I've read all I can find on t'internet and must admit I'm leaning towards the 300S, owning a FWB 65 I know how good the action is, but, is the ssp LGR perhaps the way to go?
    Which is the more reliable and easiest to maintain are my main criteria as they both seem as if they're way above my shooting ability!..
    All opinions gratefully received!!..
    Eric.
    Eric I would lean towards the 300S too against the LGR but only as a collector first and shooter second. I feel that a well-cared for 300S, once it's been fitted with new seals/piston bumper, is a faultless performer that will last for tens or even hundreds of thousands of rounds without further maintenance.

The LGR's design is quite a way more advanced than the FWB, making it a superior rifle in purely functional terms. If you're planning to shoot competitively it will probably help you obtain better scores. But it's an SSP and while beautifully built, is inherently more prone to air leaks over time. Apart from a tendency for the exhaust seals (and piston seal?) to fail after much use/time, I've also heard that the little breech loader detent is prone to popping open when worn.

All the major service parts are currently available for both rifles so in practice there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to keep either one in working order for the foreseeable future. Although the mechanisms are very different, I'm guessing the actual work involved in maintaining each of them is roughly comparable and well within reach of a competent amateur gunsmith. There are guides to dismantling and repairing both 300S and LGR available on the internet. If you have trouble locating them, let me know.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Many thanks for your thoughts Mr Garvin....
    You tend to confirm my thoughts that the action of the 300, although older, will be more 'bombproof'.
    Thanks again for the info, much appreciated...
    Eric.

To collect - the FWB - simply the best quality air rifle ever produced.
    To compete - the Walther LGR Match - had one in early eighties, improved my average by from 320 to 360.
    ATB
    Richard

fwb v lgr

Hi there.I actually own a fwb 300 s and a walther lgr.I wouldnt part with either rifle.The fwb 300 has been absolutely bomb proof and even by todays standards is still an accurate rifle.I use the fwb to compete in a local bell target league.There are many being used and they hold their own against the modern stuff,regularly posting highest scores in matches.I have only recently bought the lgr and i really like it,in my opinion its nicer to use than the fwb.There are also quite a few being used in the league.Before buying my lgr i asked around regarding the reliability and apparently they are pretty reliable.
    Actually the breech started popping open on mine but the fault was traced to the seals being slightly too thick thus stopping the breech fully closing and was easily sorted.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Eric
    All the statements made are correct, my wife shot an LGR at international level in the 80's, still has it, has just returned to shooting and is still using it and is not interested in changing to any thing newer. They are easy to work on, I changed the valve, buffer, and breach seals before she restarted and it performs perfectly.
    If you want to try both we have them as club guns at our target club in Norwich, you can e me on robin.carter80@ntlworld.com for details
    elewis
    The following procedure is the official way used by Walther to ensure the seal fit is correct and with no leaks. When you change the breach seals, it is very important to clean the old ones out of the block carefully as some were put in with something like loctite and if not cleaned out it causes the problem you describe. I refit them dry which is no issue unless the block has been butchered, the block is alloy and if the seal recesses have been scrapped out it may be best to replace the block. With the rifle held in a vice by the barrel (pad with cloth and wood) vertically, action up, slacken the barrel lock screw with an allen key and with the breach closed let the weight of the action settle and then just nip the lock screw and check the breach block fit. It should be firm with no noticeable movement, I sometimes give the action a very light tap with a soft mallet with it nipped to get that last thou of movement out but take care to not over strain it other wise it will pop open in use. Its a delicate operation to get the ballance of no movement with out over crowding it. When correct, tighten the barrel lock screw, there is no torque setting but it should be very tight, and then recheck that the fit is the same after it is all tight. In use don't snap the block closed, lift the tab, close the block and close the tab.
    Best regards
    Robin

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Eric
    I forgot, the walnut stocks on the FWB are inclined to be a bit plain with the occasional pretty one, The Walthers can vary with some beech, most walnut, but the walnut varies from plain to superb, so if you are planning on it as a collection and not just for shooting it pays to shop about and look for a pretty one.
    Best regards
    Robin

Many thanks all for your input...much appreciated!
    Robin..thanks for the offer. If I struggle to decide I'll drop you a line...
    Thanks again all!!
    Eric.

I have the 300s running boar with a Schmidt & Bender 6x42 on it. German made for the army with one piece quick release mount. Walnut thumbhole ambi stock with adjustable cheekpiece. I've had several offers for it, but it's not going anywhere.