Thread: Meteor cadet?

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Meteor cadet?

I have heard of Meteor Cadets on here but are they real or fictional? I bought a "Meteor Cadet" recently that was a mk5 Meteor with no rear sight holes drilled on the breech end of the barrel but on the rear of the cylinder. I remember this from being a kid, BUT did BSA actually do a "Meteor Cadet" model and when was it produced from and to? Many thanks from myself and a few other curious bbs people.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

I have three of them Will dig out serial numbers over the next few days (They are stored away at the mo) and post on this thread.

Isn't it the other way around? Cadet Meteor? As in Meteors intended for use by the ACF?

I had one a while back, complete with armoury number written on the stock and the sight arrangement as described.

Rich
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

That is correct

Bsa Military meteors,

I bought 19, of them from a shop near York,
    15, complete ( In various stages of undress ) & 4, not working, I sold them on here & have a number of spares & sights,

They came from the cadets in York, All .177, Most with diopter rear sights,
    All had undrilled barrels, I probably have enough bits to put 2, Together !
    cheers, Ged.

PS, I put pics of them on here ! done a search but they have been erased, cheers,

Yes, best way of identifying a Meteor Cadet is there are no holes on the breech block to fit the rearsight, so diopter use only.

Regards,

John

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    I bought 19, of them from a shop near York,
    15, complete ( In various stages of undress ) & 4, not working, I sold them on here & have a number of spares & sights,

They came from the cadets in York, All .177, Most with diopter rear sights,
    All had undrilled barrels, I probably have enough bits to put 2, Together !
    cheers, Ged.

PS, I put pics of them on here ! done a search but they have been erased, cheers,

Hi,
    Other than the sights, I don't believe the stampings differed to standard Meteors. I believe only Mk V Meteors were sold as Cadets and my records give me a date of between 1977 and 1994 for these variations. I think that spans the lifetime of the MkV version and could be the Cadet version was produced for a more limited time. My guess would be late seventies to early 80s. I recall using Meteors in the Air Cadets in the early 80's and my lasting impression was the rifles did not fit me very well in the prone position. My cheek bones are a bit pronounced and I just could not get comfortable to shoot. This experience put me off Meteors for years and I only added a Cadet version to my collection a couple of years ago because of its scarcity. I did find the rifle shot much better than I recalled when I shot standing rather than prone and intend to keep it.

As to the sights, it is the standard rearsight unit, as fitted to the Seventies range of BSAs including the Bucanneer. Only adaption being the open sight is replaced with a wide aperture, which does make for more accurate shooting IMHO.

Kind regards,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Hi,
    Other than the sights, I don't believe the stampings differed to standard Meteors. I believe only Mk V Meteors were sold as Cadets and my records give me a date of between 1977 and 1994 for these variations. I think that spans the lifetime of the MkV version and could be the Cadet version was produced for a more limited time. My guess would be late seventies to early 80s. I recall using Meteors in the Air Cadets in the early 80's and my lasting impression was the rifles did not fit me very well in the prone position. My cheek bones are a bit pronounced and I just could not get comfortable to shoot. This experience put me off Meteors for years and I only added a Cadet version to my collection a couple of years ago because of its scarcity. I did find the rifle shot much better than I recalled when I shot standing rather than prone and intend to keep it.

As to the sights, it is the standard rearsight unit, as fitted to the Seventies range of BSAs including the Bucanneer. Only adaption being the open sight is replaced with a wide aperture, which does make for more accurate shooting IMHO.

Kind regards,
    John
    I had some Mk 4,s & might still have one in bits,
    The barrels were not drilled for sights ! ( Thats the real giveaway ) The rear diopters had a base, The diopter did not have a wide aperture, " standard " Ged.
    Here is one, ( How many do you want !)
    Pic-

Now does anyone want one ! Ha ha, I have an action ( I think & a barrel & sights & stock, maybe a Mk 4 )
    Last edited by gedfinn 2; 24-01-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Pic added