Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stirrup pumps

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi Steyr,

Yep, you are right - we have to agree to disagree.

Well, if I should be the first man on this earth that only run my pcp with handpumps then so be it. I will write this discussion behind my ear and return with information how things went - let say about 10 years from now.

I am quite sure that people that have problems with their guns then using a handpump is simply because of dust and dirt on the connection between pump and gun. And also by overfilling their guns.
    The dust and dirt problem can also happen with bottles if you donīt take this problem seriously. The same thing with overfilling too.

And I am also quite sure that if you change the filters frequently on your handpumps and donīt fill your guns in high humidity air conditions you will get a very long run time on your guns (we are talking several years here without any troubles at all).

Rust problems inside the cylinder ? Well, again this would take several years (if the system is treated correctly) before you have complete rust through problem causing failure of the cylinder or the inside mechanics of the gun. In this matter I think even those people that only use bottles for filling will get some rusty cylinders by time. This can not be avoided. Actually, alot of this rust comes from condensation then you are taking the gun and bottle in and out from warm environments to cold conditions.

So other things matter too in the matter of filling guns and not just filters and dry air.

I have both 232bar 15ltr & hills pump

when you go to places that are remote,(and you do get them) you can't just pop down to you local divers shop for a refill, so in my personall view its best to have both, yes its quicker and easier to fill with a bottle but you lot must all be very "puny" if you find it hard work pumping the gun up,after all its just a good arm workout , and makes me feel all pumped up too.
    The knack (if you struggle) is to bend your legs at the last 3" of stroke and use your body weight to push down, then you will have no problems, and as for the comment pumps give you heart attacks or something along them lines, im sure if you dont do any pysical work its more likely to bring on heart problems,this could also be a good cardiovascular workout each time.
    So it's got my vote GET A PUMP

RochdaleLad Guest
    It does help to be a fat b*stard if you've got a pump... I laughed myself sore watching a skinny, lanky, 5ft tall mate try and pump a rapid bottle up

It's do-able, but you need really strong arms if you don't have the body weight to close the pump.

David

Quote Originally Posted by RochdaleLad
    It does help to be a fat b*stard if you've got a pump... I laughed myself sore watching a skinny, lanky, 5ft tall mate try and pump a rapid bottle up

It's do-able, but you need really strong arms if you don't have the body weight to close the pump.

David
    Could have something there david...lol

John Henry 1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RochdaleLad

David
    Maybe he was a fat b**tard before he started with hand pumps.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    20 pumps per 100 psi ? 3000 divided by 100 = 30 X 20 = 600

That can't be right, you be too tired to shoot after that!

Frickin nora! that!

Think I'll deffo buy a bottle!

Steve
    I pump my Hornet up to 3,500..psi..logun pump..with water trap..had it a year...good cardiovascular exercise..

RochdaleLad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhrhodes
    Maybe he was a fat b**tard before he started with hand pumps.
    Cheers
    No no, he's always been a skinny little shortarse

D.

Johnny - Sweden Guest
    Then it also comes down to how many shots you get on one fill.

In just 12 ft/lbs a FX2000 can give around 100 shots in calibre 22, but here were everybody runs them in full power you will only get 25-30 shots.

My 146cc Cyclone give me 20 shots before it falls below 850 fps (25 ft/lbs).