Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I must admit that, having bought heavily into the philosophy of Sporting Air Rifle prior to the advent of HFT, I used to look askance at competitors using FT rigs in a scenario intended to resemble hunting. These days, I've resigned myself to the death of the old SAR mindset and accepted that HFT has evolved. I am regularly beaten in club comps by a guy shooting a TX200 (and he takes most of his shots kneeling) and sometimes achieve better scores myself with an HW97 than I do with a PCP costing 3 times as much.

D.
What's worse (or better depending on the point of view), we have several HFT shooters in our region that come along and spank our behinds shooting SFT with just 10x scopes and guestimation of target distance, in FT comps.

There's been so many examples over the years of good shooters with gear that some would be think be unsuitable, being not only competitive in FT, but taking home some scalps as well.

I've seen it too many times to know that kit may make a better shooter better, but it's not going to stop a better shooter beating you...

Thinking about the most esoteric and extreme kit you can buy for both FT and HFT, which would weigh you in at probably £4-5k (new off the shelf say March scope for HFT and FT + pcp) in either, and i'd say there's nothing in that which would enable someone to hold back a shooter with gear costing a tenth of that new off the shelf, or even less second hand.

It's a myth. It's been busted so many times. Short of dumping a season or two to prove it, i'm not sure there's much else more people can do or say.

I suppose, what you could say is put money where mouth is, buy the most expensive kit, and then if you don't win everything, you have to donate it to who ever does

any takers