Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just the one... But which one?

Just the one... But which one?

I was thinking - yes I know it is dangerous :wink:

Right now if I could have any pistol I liked I think I would go with the Baikal IZH 46M, because I have used one and really like it. I like the hold, the smooth trigger and that I have better scores than with my CP99. Of course as I get more experienced this could probably change.

If you could only have one pistol, but could choose any pistol in the world (current or no longer in production), money no object, what would it be and why?

Clare
    I am a Lady
    AA S200 Mk3, Walther CP99, Soon to own a Webley Alecto

I would love a Steyr LP50 to go with my LP10 so i had a matching pair.
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

The original, Birmingham-made Webley Tempest. Fun to shoot, challenging and satisfying to shoot accurately, with reasonable maintenance and looking after will probably see one of these outliving it's owner. Little to go wrong with it, no Co2 to buy, and the heritage of a true British classic pistol.

Question Birmingham made Tempest

Hi Rob
    Please post a Piccie of a Birmingham made Tempest.
    I have the Hurricane and want to see the difference. This is regarding a post by someone previously.
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Possibly the Feinwerkbau Model 65 like I have just bought.

Fantastic trigger, Built to outlast the owner.

Very satisfying to shoot.

No hassle filling it with air or Co2.

But I will probably change my mind again when the novelty has worn off!

Mark

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If I was going to be limited to just the one pistol it would have to be my HW45 with a set of barrels. It's accurate if you use full bore auto target techniques, is a great plinker with a two handed grip ( I used to shoot beer cans at 25 to 30 yards), it produces legal limit power, is reliable (mines been running 5.5 foot pounds for about 20 years with just the occasional clean and light lube, and above all it's lovely !
    If I was choosing an additional pistol it would probably have to be a Crosman 600 10 shot automatic with a regulated air conversion. That gives you an accurate legal limit 10 shot auto! I can't justify £500 or so on a vintage job at the moment though
    Nick

I'm with Cookie, a Steyr LP50.

No...I've just read Cones's post. A FWB 65.
    Gaah... Nick mentioned a Crosman 600!!
    Ummm.... does it have to be just one?

As I've posted before; a FWB 65 with a sight rail and doing near 5 ft.lbs (if that's possible) would be fairly close to the perfect air pistol. It's as accurate as my LP10 but not as dead to shoot. It's only lacking a multi-shot capability.

If it was on a desert island with no source of air it'd have to be the 65. Or maybe I could smuggle in a pump and have an LP50....

I think this thread illustrates very effectively why just one airpistol simply is not enough!
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    For me it would have to be a Smith and Wesson 586 Combo set, all 3 barrels. In the original shiny blue finish, not the newer black. An adaptor rail fitted to take a pistol scope or a red dot, and a big fat silencer.

Quality

Paul
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by Target Bunny View Post
    Hi Rob
    Please post a Piccie of a Birmingham made Tempest.
    I have the Hurricane and want to see the difference. This is regarding a post by someone previously.
    Target Bunny
    They are basically exactly the same, the Tempest has a slightly shorter barrel than the Hurricane, and a much simpler rearsight, adjusted by loosening a screw and manually moving the sightm then retightening. The rear of the Tempest body is cut short where it extends back under the rearsight on the Hurricane. The Tempest has no hood over the foresight.

Apart from that most of the parts are common between the two.

Tempest

Hurricane

Do a google search and click on 'Images' to see many more pictures...

HW45 in .22 Mine has been fantastic since I bought it new in january, have put over 2500 pellets through it without any kind of malfunction, it's powerful, accurate and well built.
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

I've got a TAU 7 and I'm more than happy with that, but the only other pistol I would consider is the FWB65. I've never handled one, but if it functions anywhere nearly as well as the FWB300S it must be deserving of its reputation.

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    If I had to choose one from my collection, it'd have to be the Webley MK1 .22 which my dad gave me last year. He let me use it when I was a kid, and it's still in near mint condition.
    Apart from that one, which is mostly 'cause it was my dad's, I'd choose the Gamo Compact. It's cheap to run, accurate, and it's easy to take apart for fiddling with

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
    For me it would have to be a Smith and Wesson 586 Combo set, all 3 barrels. In the original shiny blue finish, not the newer black. An adaptor rail fitted to take a pistol scope or a red dot, and a big fat silencer.

Quality

Paul
    I want to say that I'd be happy with my Smith 686 6 inch, and to some extent it would be ideal. BUT, there's always the problem of CO2 gas cylinders: the mechanical complexity of any repeating CO2 pistol: relatively low power...

...on the whole, I'd probably opt for a HW 45 - which I don't own yet: simple, rugged, powerful, no C02 to purchase.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

I Re-Read The OP And Changed My Mind

Air wasn't mentioned so I'd go for a Government Colt 1911 A1, I've used one on a range for an afternoon in the States 5 times in the last 8 years, Single handed target style I can consistantly group a full mag in an 8 inch circle in the centre of a standard man sized police pistol type target at 20 to 25 yards.
    Rapid fire I'm not as good but the hits don't get out into the low scoring peripheral areas and two handed rapid fire is so much more fun
    Regards,
    Nick

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Air wasn't mentioned ...
    In that case, any semi auto .22 target pistol would do for me. Or a Luger.