Thread: webley mk3 question

rabbiter Guest

Thumbs up webley mk3 question

just finished renovating a webley mk3 - new screws where needed ,mainspring ,piston washer, reblue ,woodwork etc.
    the question is what sort of power should i expect from it so i got some idea if i done the job on the internals right i know its not a power house so i`m not expecting anywhere near 12 ft/lbs

thanks

Power

All things being equal between 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 ft/lbs,

It may start off a bit on the low side, but as it beds in the power should creep up a bit.

Regards

Ben

Advertised velocity in the 60s was 500 fps with Webley 'Special' pellets. (These were not special at all - a lot like Milbro Caledonian but not as well made.) However, most people regarded Mk.IIIs as more on a par with the Airsporter than Meteor for power when comparing them with the relatively cheap and 'value engineered' BSAs, and I'd think a good one should go well towards the top end of Ben's suggested range.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Pat... Guest
    With modern lubes and a bit of polishing they will do 11 + ft lbs and still shoot smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat...
    With modern lubes and a bit of polishing they will do 11 + ft lbs and still shoot smoothly.
    Some of 'em shot pretty smoothly even with the old lubes . It was the way they made 'em....

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

rabbiter Guest

webley mk3

ran a tin of pellets through it and still got my arm (just) its now topping 10.4 ft/lbs with webley venom lazerdomes and i forgot to say that i gave the internals a polish and lubed up with venom spring grease (moly)

thanks for the replys

10.4 ft.lbs sounds about right to me. A recent article in A.G.W. quoted a realistic m.e. of around 10 ft.lbs.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk