Thread: Wirewool on rust?

Wirewool on rust?

Hi all, I have a nice original mod 22 with unworn blueing, however there are some rust spots, these have been improved with some vigorous rubbing with an oily rag, but not removed. I wondered if light rubbing with 0000 wirewool dipped in engine oil might be better, or will this disturb the blueing?
    Thanks in advance.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by benchstop View Post
    Hi all, I have a nice original mod 22 with unworn blueing, however there are some rust spots, these have been improved with some vigorous rubbing with an oily rag, but not removed. I wondered if light rubbing with 0000 wirewool dipped in engine oil might be better, or will this disturb the blueing?
    Thanks in advance.

Mike
    Yes Mike thats fine but do so carefully , you will be amazed at how good they come up !

Practice on the underside or action thats inside the stock in the first instance then do the whole rifle when you are sure its safe to do so . lol

hth

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Hi Mike,

I use this method on various items and it will work but as above go very gentle - the very lightest touch is needed - carry on too much and the bluing will quickly suffer. Maybe just try a cotton rag and oil first - that alone may make a difference.

[edit] just read the whole of your first post and you tried that - doh!
    Max; looking for: Baikal IZH 61 side lever rifle

I used this method on my fwb300s and although its not 'as new' it was a huge improvement. Was surprised at how quickly the rust came off.

Well I gave it a go, with a result best described as an incomplete sucess. I used 0000 wire wool with 10/40 engine oil. Do you think the oil is too thick, would I be better with wd40 perhaps?

regards, Mike

snipperuk Guest
    washing up pad... sponge one side and plastic on the other ...... use the plastic side with plenty of oil

I will have a look at that. I presume you mean the scotch brite type stuff

snipperuk Guest
    just the cheapo packs ,,,, yellow sponge one side and dark green on the other ... just rub lightly at first to see how it goes

I would definitely not use anything like a washing up pad/scourer, they can be really harsh and scratchy and will leave marks through the blue.
    On the other hand I have used 0000 Grade wire wool with liberal amounts of WD40 on everything from target rifles to BSA Military Patterns to old Webley pistols and never had a problem in terms of abrasion to the blue. Light rust is quickly removed.
    If you want to take the blue off altogether one of those green kitchen scourers, used for cleaning out pans, is ideal!

I use WD40, it gets under the rust

Finest wire wool that you can find. I have tried both with/out oil and without works better for me so long as you use very fine wire wool. The 'dry rust' comes off better without oil as it powders. No damage to blue.

Process - clean with methylated spirits, rub with very fine wire wool, soak cotton cloth in oil and clean excess dust off etc to protect from rust appearing again..

I will try the 0000 wire wool again, this time with WD40, if still no joy then will try the steel wool alone.
    The engine oil I used was too thick and created a barrier, as you would expect really.

thanks for the input, Mike

Trust me....do as I said above. It does work. You must remove any oil residue before using the wire wool...that is why the Meth's is important.