Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nepalise Martini Henry MkIV

Nepalise Martini Henry MkIV

Can anybody give me a rough value on one of the above with a good bore and wood. I'm looking to purchase one in the near future and need a ball park figure. Looking at top end for shooting not a wall hanger

Quote Originally Posted by wigan bear View Post
    Can anybody give me a rough value on one of the above with a good bore and wood. I'm looking to purchase one in the near future and need a ball park figure. Looking at top end for shooting not a wall hanger
    £250-£500
    Count you fingers before you fire it as it could be last time the total will add up to eight and two thumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fronteria View Post
    £250-£500
    Count you fingers before you fire it as it could be last time the total will add up to eight and two thumbs.
    Can you point me in the right direction to get one at that price with a good bore.

Also why do you think it will blow up?

Hi WB,
    MH are not my speciality but I used to have one a few years ago; IIRC a firm called 'arms International' or something used to sell them at that time for around £400-600 depending on their quality. They had the best selection of Nepalese in the UK at that time (2003-04 or so). Mine had a very good bore with very small amount of rust or pitting. A proper MH with an excellent bore will easily fetch £800 plus these days( there are a couple in Guntrader & Fultons have a couple), but those are usually British military marked and not the Nepalese as you wanted. Worldwide Arms sell Nepalese Martinis at around the £550 mark. They should have few in stock as they keep sending me brochures to that effect!

I have seen a few Nepalese in action as they often show at classic shooting events. I saw a gent shooting one at 600yds just a few months ago with great accuracy. Brought a smile that did I understand most of the good barrelled Nepalese went to the USA ( as they bought them in massive bulks) and we only got the left overs. Therefore, a pitted bore is often the norm when you buy one here.

Best to keep your eyes open; as you probably will get a good deal from an individual rather than wasting the extra money in a shop.

ATB,
    Krish

This one may be of interest to you. Buy it now at £295. (It's not mine by the way)

http://www.speedbid.com/lot.cfm?lotID=394042

Edit: Just saw it has a blocked muzzle so probably not what you're looking for.

I take it you mean a Mk 4 from the Nepalese cache. Look at International Military Antiques. A Mk4, cleaned up with sword bayonet will cost $695 plus postage and customs this end. I have got 2 Mk4's a Mk2 and a Braedlin Armoury carbine. 3 I bought from the US a couple of years ago ( when it was a good rate of exchange ). I have not seen any of the Nepalese cache for sale in the UK lately. The last one's I saw were £500ish. I know a chap who specialize in Martini's. If you want, message me, I will give you his details.
    Last edited by martindl99; 31-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Anand View Post
    Hi WB,
    MH are not my speciality but I used to have one a few years ago; IIRC a firm called 'arms International' or something used to sell them at that time for around £400-600 depending on their quality. They had the best selection of Nepalese in the UK at that time (2003-04 or so). Mine had a very good bore with very small amount of rust or pitting. A proper MH with an excellent bore will easily fetch £800 plus these days( there are a couple in Guntrader & Fultons have a couple), but those are usually British military marked and not the Nepalese as you wanted. Worldwide Arms sell Nepalese Martinis at around the £550 mark. They should have few in stock as they keep sending me brochures to that effect!

I have seen a few Nepalese in action as they often show at classic shooting events. I saw a gent shooting one at 600yds just a few months ago with great accuracy. Brought a smile that did I understand most of the good barrelled Nepalese went to the USA ( as they bought them in massive bulks) and we only got the left overs. Therefore, a pitted bore is often the norm when you buy one here.

Best to keep your eyes open; as you probably will get a good deal from an individual rather than wasting the extra money in a shop.

ATB,
    Krish
    Would you like me to try to locate one for you here in the US? It being an antique muzzleloader, there shouldn't be any legal restriction issues, either on sales here, export from the US, or import into the UK.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by martindl99 View Post
    I take it you mean a Mk 4 from the Nepalese cache. Look at International Military Antiques. A Mk4, cleaned up with sword bayonet will cost $695 plus postage and customs this end. I have got 2 Mk4's a Mk2 and a Braedlin Armoury carbine. 3 I bought from the US a couple of years ago ( when it was a good rate of exchange ). I have not seen any of the Nepalese cache for sale in the UK lately. The last one's I saw were £500ish. I know a chap who specialize in Martini's. If you want, message me, I will give you his details.
    I've bought one today, the guy sent me the pictures and it looks mint, it was in arsenal store till 1906 and I've been promised a mint bore and a no hassle send it back if you don't like it. He seems a well respected guy and is also sourcing me some brass at cost and including all the load data.

Just need, bullets, powder, dies, new press, ammo cases and sling. This is going be expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody dealt with Allwood mouldings, they have the 500gr heads at £20 per 100 as a stop gap untill I mould my own.

Happy shooting, enjoy it. Don't forget they are very addictive. As a matter of interest how much is the brass and is the guy called Neil?

You can buy one from this place:

http://www.uk-militaria.com/shop/shop.php

You have to take 70% off the price quoted (read their homepage).

I have bought a couple of Peabody/Gahandra rifles from them. One had a very good bore, the other rather pitted. These only cost me £130 each!

There are MK4 MH's with good bores available. Check out their website and give them a call.

regards

Nick

greenshoots Guest
    is the guy called Neil?
    first name zulu blame him for me buying a martini......

Zulu Neil

Quote Originally Posted by greenshoots View Post
    first name zulu blame him for me buying a martini......
    Yes it is Zulu Neil, seems like a very nice guy. Just doing a shopping list for Tim Hannam.

Quote Originally Posted by njaw View Post
    You can buy one from this place:

http://www.uk-militaria.com/shop/shop.php

You have to take 70% off the price quoted (read their homepage).

I have bought a couple of Peabody/Gahandra rifles from them. One had a very good bore, the other rather pitted. These only cost me £130 each!

There are MK4 MH's with good bores available. Check out their website and give them a call.

regards

Nick
    I've allready said I would have it before looking here, I gave them a call and they do have them in with good bores for £400. Thanks for the info but too late, I will keep them in mind if the bug bites.

MH Mark 4 long lever

I bought one in from IMA-USA. One of the Nepal cache, made 1886 and sent from Rawalpindi to Nepal in 1908. Excellent gun after cleaning out the yak fat.
    Needed a new stock fixing pin and a new screw for the barrel band, which I made. Excellent bore on the gun. After the postage, import vat and other charges, worked out at around £400...wish I had bought the bayonet now!

Expensive job to load, need dies, press which will take the dies, cases, bullets etc, will keep it as a S58 for the present.

Mike95

Arrived Today

The Post Man dropped it off this morning and am very pleased with it.

Can anybody point me to a site that shows you how to clean these. I suspect you don't use the original steel rod so what size brushes do you use.

Also what does VR over 2P and VR over 1P mean apart from Victoria Reg