Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BSA Gunlaying Teacher.......

Quote Originally Posted by hwvixen View Post
    Anymore for anymore.......valuations that is!

I guessed there wouldn't be many members who could offer a valuation based on....the last one they saw for sale/sold....
    Give you a score for it, maybe more if you have any rough old Gems to chuck in with it, any good to ya?

Quote Originally Posted by keith66 View Post
    Rare it might be but without a 25 pounder to bolt it to it is as much use as a chocolate tea pot, so unless you are a rich BSA collector it is worthless.
    Thanks, got to admit that I was wondering how it was used until I read this...I assume it was bolted to a tank or field gun and calibrated to shoot scaled-down targets at closer ranges then?...like shooting a 1' wide target at 25 yards gives the a same trajectory to shooting a 10' wide target at 250 yards sort of thing, yeah?
    blah blah

keith66 is offline Optimisic Pessimist Fella
    Yes the gunlayer was bolted to the breech of the field gun & allowed the gun crew to practice indoors at minature targets with dummy rounds. THough the range was probably meant to scale to thousands of yards.

Thanks, makes sense now...
    blah blah

Thanks for the potted history guys...here are a few more facts.

They were devised between 1911/13 based on the BSA Standard air rifle of that time & put into "service" in 1915/16 with both the Navy & Army getting a slightly different version.I believe the Navy version was discharged by means of a solonoid & the Army's version by a lanyard...to simulate actual usage when fully trained & let loose on the real thing!

They were mounted either on or inside a real field piece & used in a scaled down enviroment firing .177 pellets....saving on the cost of live shell's.Only 212 were believed made & of those very few remain...apparently!For comparison there were 400 or so Military Pattern rifles manufactured...This particular one is stamped NZA (& other markings) & the New Zealand Army did apparently use them until the early 50's mounted on a Valentine tank...hence it's green paint in places.

This one is devoid of any of the means to operate it..but it does cock & fire...so I guess that makes me a wealthy BSA collector then..?Anyone got a Valentine Tank for sale.....there should be plenty of those around...this time of year.