Thread: Webley Tracker -piston removal

Webley Tracker -piston removal

I got a (t)rusty old webley tracker from a friend.
    It needs a major overhaul., so I am taking it apart. However, now I am stuck and need your help.

I removed the mainspring and want to take out the piston now. I was able to put a screwdriver through the slot in the barrel on the right side and tap the end of the slot of the piston. This way, I could move the piston back a bit. But now the slots of the piston and barrel are aligned and I cannot tap it further back.

How do I get the piston out of the barrel?
    Any suggestions?

Lars

If my memory serves me well you have to remove the trigger and sear.

Good luck, Phil

Thanks Phil,
    removed that already and gave it a good polish.

I had the Webley Excel many years ago - seem to remember it is basically the same action as the tracker albeit a break-barrel.

I think you have to remove the cocking arm from the slot in the cylinder and the trigger assembly - then the piston should slide out.

hope this helps
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Just done a quick search and found this post from TonyT way back in 2004

This is his post -

OK here goes:-

1) remove sights (telescopic if fitted)

2) remove stock

3) release sidelever using usual plunger but do NOT cock the rifle

4) remove the 'c' clip from the s/lever pivot pin, remove pin, s/lever and spring- note which way the spring goes for later reassembly

5) remove trigger adjustment grub screw and spring

6) looking down the end plug (where the s/lever would be) you will see a grubscrew in a recess- slacken this, no need to remove.

7) now stand the rifle upright on a hard surface on a cloth to stop it slipping. Grip the rifle securely (best place is where the barrel meets the cylinder) push down and at the same time push out the end plug retaining pin with a drift. Release the downward pressure on the rifle and the end plug will come out followed by the spring. There isn't much tension on the standard spring so all this is quite easy. IF you suspect that the std spring may have been replaced then for safety's sake use a spring compressor or get someone to help you push against the spring.

8) if you only want to replace the spring this is as far as you need to go.

9) to remove the piston first remove the 3 pins that go through the trigger block (remove their 'c' clips 1st). Then carefully remove the trigger, sear and safety slide, note their is also a spring and take careful note of each components position.

10) the piston can now be removed- remember to depress the anti beartrap lever or it won't come out.

Hope that helps- if you want any more help e-mail me fo my phone no.
    (use the e-mail in my signature)

Tony
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps

ATB

Mac
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

snipperuk Guest
    email inbound with a bulmers strip down guide and manual

snipper

Thanks for the info.
    I got the Tracker manual and the disassembly is described in there. So, I did all what you said and also tapped the piston slightly to the end (as written in the manual), but I get to a point where all the slots line up and there is no way to get hold of the piston to pull/push it further out.
    Well, I have a nights sleep now...

Zatnikatel is offline He's coming in. I feel safer already
    Hi Lars

It's been some time since I stripped mine but IIRC the anti-beartrap grooves cut into the side of the piston catch on the back of the body tube. To get the piston out you need to rotate the piston so that the grooves are on the bottom rather than the side. As I said, it's been some time since I had a look inside my Tracker so I could be talking complete rubbish

One other thing - the trigger and safety springs can be a bit of a pain to get back correctly. If you have difficulties putting the trigger unit together, let me know as I have photos of it that might be of use.

atb, Glyn

Hi all and thanks for your help!
    I also took a lot of photos during the disassambly although it is not too tricky.

I am still struggling tho!
    It must be that the piston is not properly lubricated. I can sniff a bit of oil in there, but this gun was missing some TLC for a long time!
    I'll keep you posted.

Lars