Thread: mk3 airsporter s value

mk3 airsporter s value

hi all picked up a mk3 airsporter s in a deal ,it is in well used original but good condition complete with open sights, some blueing but mostly plummy patina, paint is about 50% on the alloy parts ,good chequered stock with no cracks or major dings which looks like walnut to me.shoots ok but only putting out 9fpe.i had vague notions of restoring it sometime but a friend is keen to have it and has offered £100 for it.not really fussed about selling it at the moment but if i took his money would i be robbing him?.i know this is difficult without photos but your advice woudl be appreciated.. cheers,,greasemonkey

airsporter s

hi if you have a airsporter s its either a mk 1 or mk 2 and you wouldnt be robbing him but as you say its difficult to put a price on it without seeing any piccies regards stuart
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I bought a nice one for £120 so £100 seems neither like robbery nor a bargain. Apart from the early Mk 2 they are the nicest of the tap-loaders so probably worth a round 'ton'. They are a bit of an arse to get a spring into so you are saving youself some trouble! Can be a bit difficult to shift, fickle public ... whereas a HW35 would be snapped up in half an hour, a 'Sporter can take a couple of weeks.

Sell it 'im!

hi,thanks for info lads much appreciated,just to be sure if its an airsporter s it is a mk2 not a mk3 ? [its not old enough for a mk1].cheers ..greasemonkey

Airsporter S

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi,thanks for info lads much appreciated,just to be sure if its an airsporter s it is a mk2 not a mk3 ? [its not old enough for a mk1].cheers ..greasemonkey
    Hi Grease monkey
    There was a short lived Airsporter Mk3 that filled the gap between the superb Mk2 and the rather ordinary Mk4 but we are talking 1960's

The S models came out 20 years later.The Mk 1 S version had a walnut stock, chequered on front sides and grip

The Mk2 S had a more rounded fore-end, again it had similar chequering and stocks were often darkly stained beech or sometimes walnut
    There was no Mk3 S as far as I am aware
    John
    hold me back !!

Oh yes there is a Mk3 S

Hi again gm

I have received some photos today of a Mk3 Airsporter S, so sorry for the above post where I have assumed the S was only made as a Mk1 or Mk2

This Mk3 S is quite an attractive rifle with the slim front end and the standard S chequering on grip and fore-end

I have certainly never seen an Airsporter like this before and it looks quite desirable.

It still has the same design loading tap as the Mk 1&2 S but it has a raised scope ramp like some RB2's and an unusual rear sight (same as RB2 Stutzen at front of scope rail)

I have checked 'The Golden Century' and apparently it was made from 1985-6 in .177 cal SN prefix - ES

I now want one

John
    Last edited by pennineway.fswo; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: more info added
    hold me back !!

hi john,thanks for the info,my gun is not as the mk3 s as you describe it must be a mk 1 or two,serial no is 6m03099, dont know if that helps,really must get my son to show me how to do pics.i cannot now decide wether to sell the gun to my mate,keep it and restore it or try and swop it for a webley mk3 in simular condition and restore that..cheers greasemonkey

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    hi john,thanks for the info,my gun is not as the mk3 s as you describe it must be a mk 1 or two,serial no is 6m03099, dont know if that helps,really must get my son to show me how to do pics.i cannot now decide wether to sell the gun to my mate,keep it and restore it or try and swop it for a webley mk3 in simular condition and restore that..cheers greasemonkey
    hi gm
    Serial number GM is .22 Mk1 S according to John Knibbs
    I have also been informed by another member that there was also a .22 version of the Mk3 S made as he has one, but I can't find any reference to it in JK's book

The Airsporter S is a more modern rifle than a Webley Mk3 and is a better handling gun with a little bit more power. But both rifles are definately worth having. They don't match the accuracy at long range of a PCP or modern quality spring rifle, but are nice to shoot, look great and give around 10 -10.5 ft lbs which is more than enough power for most needs

The Airsporter is an easier rifle to reblue as there are less bits that need polishing prior to reblue(no trigger block, no tap lever, no trigger guard, no steel rear sight etc) and when reblued the gold enamel applied to the engraving on top of the cylinder looks great . However stockwise the webley is easier to refinish as there is no chequering to avoid
    John
    hold me back !!

thanks john,really must get mr knibbs book also.i had noted the lack of multiple parts when reblueing.just had a webley mk one pistol done and was relieved when all the parts came back.have never owed a webley mk3 thats one reason i want one..cheers..greasemonkey

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    The Airsporter takes a big dump over the Webley Mk 3 any day. The Airsporter 'S' should easily do 12 ft/lbs as well, I had to detune mine.