Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bsa airsporter .177?

Bsa airsporter .177?

hi

why is it that you dont see many .177 airsporters about?
    seen loads of .22 for sale are the .177 rare??
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by bangers View Post
    hi

why is it that you dont see many .177 airsporters about?
    seen loads of .22 for sale are the .177 rare??
    Not sure, but during most of the life of the Airsporter marque people chose .22 as the hunting calibre, because rifles were generally more powerful in that calibre. For example, an ordinary Airsporter would do 10-11 ft/lbs in .22 and about 9-9.5 in .177. People would not buy an Airsporter for bell-target or other target shooting, so none were sold in .177 for that group, it was sold as a man's hunting rifle - in the man's hunting calibre! It might be difficult to comprehend nowadays, but the Airsporter was seen as THE top of the range British sporting air-rifle for a very long time - competing with the less powerful Webley Mk 3 and the superior, but more expensive, Weihrauch HW35.

When .177 started to become popular, around the time of the release of the Airsporter 'S' (which WAS a full-power .177) people started to switch to foreign makes of rifles in droves, and the declining number of Airsporters that still sold were bought by traditionalists who only bought British rifles, and only in .22 calibre. Very few Airsporters were seen in FT, even in the very beginning, and even then most of those were .22.

Therefore there is a 10:1 ratio of .22 to .177 Airsporters. They are rare, in fact I have never seen one! Although they come up very occasionally on the BBS.

Good luck looking for one, and if you have one, well done!
    Last edited by Hsing-ee; 31-01-2010 at 10:05 PM.

i think hsing-ee is about spot on as in the era of the airsporter the favoured calibre was the .22 and now in the modern era its the turn of the .177 but thats mainly down to all of the shooting competitions that started in the 80s there will probably be the same discussion as to why there are few .22 in the modern era
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

177 airsporter

i've got one i think it's a mk6,shoots well and has the open sights and the shroud-i use it for bell shooting and pinging foxes out of my garden.didn't know they were rare i just like shooting it . at present i'm looking for a set of diopter sights for it cos the old eyes don't focus too well with original sights.regards nik

I've only ever had .177 Airsporters..... both 'S' versions..
    Wanted - Venom Mach 1/2 Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Not sure, but during most of the life of the Airsporter marque people chose .22 as the hunting calibre, because rifles were generally more powerful in that calibre. For example, an ordinary Airsporter would do 10-11 ft/lbs in .22 and about 9-9.5 in .177. People would not buy an Airsporter for bell-target or other target shooting, so none were sold in .177 for that group, it was sold as a man's hunting rifle - in the man's hunting calibre! It might be difficult to comprehend nowadays, but the Airsporter was seen as THE top of the range British sporting air-rifle for a very long time - competing with the less powerful Webley Mk 3 and the superior, but more expensive, Weihrauch HW35.

When .177 started to become popular, around the time of the release of the Airsporter 'S' (which WAS a full-power .177) people started to switch to foreign makes of rifles in droves, and the declining number of Airsporters that still sold were bought by traditionalists who only bought British rifles, and only in .22 calibre. Very few Airsporters were seen in FT, even in the very beginning, and even then most of those were .22.

Therefore there is a 10:1 ratio of .22 to .177 Airsporters. They are rare, in fact I have never seen one! Although they come up very occasionally on the BBS.

Good luck looking for one, and if you have one, well done!

thanks for the history lesson i had a .177 back when i was i kid and wish i had never sold it but looking around like i said it`s all .22 now i know why it`s a man thing grrrrrrrrrrrr what sort of prices should i be looking to pay for a decent one in .177 ?
    Last edited by bangers; 01-02-2010 at 09:23 AM.
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

There is a .177 Airsporter S for sale on Pigeon Watch Forum if anyone is interested
    Cheers,
    Ken

Very interesting thread!

I had a Mk IV (I think) when I was a teenager in 0.22. A couple of years ago I saw a 0.177 MKVII come up - so bought it! It puts out about 9 ftlb and shoots quite nicely - maybe a bit jumpy, but since I took a few lb off the trigger pull it has become a lot easier to shoot
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Its probably easier to find an Airsporter S in .177 than a standard one. The HW35E and good scopes pushed the hunting distance beyond the farmyard shed. .177 gave that extra 15m with accuracy and the S was made to compete out to those expected ranges. Almost got there but being no heavy weight and having a spring it was never going to compete unless you tied a brick to it and could tune it (which didn't make that much a difference). Then came along the HW77 and rewrote the .177 rule book.

I have a .177 Airsporter s too.It has smooth action, but the short cocking lever slows reload time(for me)...compared to my hw 77k.Nice accurate gun though!

Quote Originally Posted by chute on site View Post
    I have a .177 Airsporter s too.It has smooth action, but the short cocking lever slows reload time(for me)...compared to my hw 77k.Nice accurate gun though!
    Got one too only use it for squirrels in high trees its deadly and very accurate.

It's my understanding that the first full sized, underlever air rifle BSA produced after the war was launched in 1948 and called the Club initially made in .177 calibre only until the option of a .22 calibre called the Airsporter became available a few months after initial introduction. Both of these rifles were essentially Airsporters, but only the .22 calibre rifle was actually named as the Airsporter. In 1959 a number of changes were made to the design including the designation of the model as the Airsporter whether the rifles were chambered in .177 or .22 calibres. The Club models are very rare and consequently attract higher prices on the few occasions they do appear for sale.

Brian

I gave my mate the Stumprat one for free last year. Kind hearted soul int a?

That was kind of you,I had to give a tenner for the last one

The barrel had been blocked by a continuous string of automotive panel pulling pins,completely wrecking the bore.