Thread: HW70 Grip Problems

HW70 Grip Problems

I've had my 70 for nearly three years now and I am very happy with it, however the only problem I have had is the plastic grip keeps cracking. The first time this happened after 18 months or so I put this down to accidently drooping the pistol. The split took several weeks to appear though so this may not have been the cause.

I bought a new grip a year ago thru Chambers and its happened again. Originally it was at the rear of the grip, this time its at the front. Mine is the latest model with the black grip I have not overtightened the screws and I am at loss as to whats happened.

Has this happened to anyone else and are the earlier brown griped guns less prone to this.

Woody, nat1, on here might make you some wood grips.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I have one but it also had cracks in the fore-end where the bolts go through - as a prospective buyer spotted! Perhaps putting a bit of draught-excluder foam between the grip and the cylinder will help to reduce the chance of cracks forming, as well as epoxying up the cracks? It is a shame, the pistol is a good design. I think you may be right that the older one with the darker brown plastic was not so brittle. It may be that they tried a different sort of plastic to make it less slippery (something the early ones were know for) and this is more brittle. Shame on Weihrauch, they usually make very robust devices!

Like the above poster notes, it should not be too difficult to have a grip made or wood, or even make one yourself. Perhaps one that is made of three pieces of wood bolted together as a sandwich would be easy? I am going to have a go now myself!

Good luck.

Indeed they usually tear cause of overtightening. But also check the grips fit on the frame. If it doesnt carry well at the frame, than it tears more easily too.
    ATB,
    yana

Hw70

I think the cause of the second grip splitting may be the end of the barrel pivot scew is slightly proud of the cylinder and is pushing the very front part of the grip away from the cylinder.

Not really what you'd expect of HW but then again I may just be unlucky.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    I think the cause of the second grip splitting may be the end of the barrel pivot scew is slightly proud of the cylinder and is pushing the very front part of the grip away from the cylinder.

Not really what you'd expect of HW but then again I may just be unlucky.
    Ah, that sounds like a good diagnosis.