Thread: Modified BSA Standard.. Questions..

Modified BSA Standard.. Questions..

Hi, I recently acquired this rifle which has been fitted with unknown open sights, they are quite nice to use but I can't figure out how to move the dovetailed foresight for windage. I don't want to bang it hard in case I move the whole mount, there is a pin that's been hammered in the front of the assembly but again I am unable to move it.
    There are two sets of threaded holes in the air chamber so it seems someone had scope mounts on it at sometime. The last hole next to the trigger block is distorted as though the screw had been under stress, also when I stripped the piston out there are visible score marks on the rear band possibly from a protruding screw..
    Before I stripped the rifle it was doing 8.7ft/lbs, not bad considering the state of the washer and the internal muck. There is some writing or a trademark on one of the springs but I can't make it out.
    I have a new washer on the way from Chambers a good clean and relube should make a difference.
    My questions are: has anyone seen sights like these before and how do I adjust the foresight ?
    Where can I get someone to refit some type of scope mounts ? Now that the holes are there I may as well make use of them

Lots of pictures here...

http://www.pbase.com/davecthomson/bsa_standard

Thanks for looking...Dave...

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Dave.......wow.......that looks interesting!!.......the rearsight looks to be very close to a Mauser k98 service rifle, in fact the front one looks very Germanic too!!

Looking at the foresight, I would imagine that if you got someone to help.....you could put a bit of brass rod in a solidly mounted vise, then get your assistant to hold the foresight body against this......you would then be able to move the blade whilst the rest of the sight was supported, and so avoid loading the pin....

I it were mine, I would leave the sights on.......that is something unique!

Also, if you look at the spring ends with a glass, you well may see this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...54021/sizes/l/

Genuine springs used to be stamped with the "pylarm" logo........don't bin them if you replace them, as they do have a value, even if tired

........Just realised there are 2 pages of photos!......oh well!......not seen that logo before on the spring...maybe it was a firm that made quality replacements doing it as a trademark?.....(poor quality/incorrect replacements were a problem even then, as people went for cheaper parts and bsa, like webley with their metal hang tags, went to lengths to try and identify genuine parts...as well as trying to protect their interests of course)

The piston scoring looks to be down to an over long scope mounting screw....but the rest of the work looks very well executed, and I can't believe the same guy did not check the cylinder inside after drilling/tapping and fitting a screw...I have done mounts like this, and it only takes 2 seconds to make sure their are no problems.....also, you would be able to feel it on cocking the gun one would imagine?

Parker hale and similar scope rails will work, depending on your gun's hole pitches......you may have to drill the mounts to suit, and I would advise backing up with some locktite structural bond on the mating area as well.......the cylinder is fairly thin, so you are only getting 2-3 turns of thread engagement depending on the TPI of fastener used.......not a problem for a light scope/light use, but locktite will make the whole thing much more stable (would probably work on it's own with the correct preparation/activator)......
    Last edited by edbear2; 01-02-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Hi Eddie, I think you're right about the sight's being from a K98 they are very solid, no serial numbers or marks on them, though according to info from google some made in the later years of the war had none put on..
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ba/Bolt517.jpg
    Looks just the same to me..

The foresight cover also looks like the one on later Mausers. Someone went to a lot of trouble with this gun.
    I will give MAG a ring and ask if they could sort out some scope mounts as stuff like that is beyond my capabilities Thanks...Dave...