Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: webley hawk

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    You were done then (albeit best part of 40 years ago when the Mk.I Hawk was current ), as they came with, and were marketed with, two interchangeable, bayonet fitting barrels, one in .22, and one in .177. Same with the Mk.II, but by then (the mid 1970s), the barrels were, as stated above, secured via screw threads and grub screws. Only the Mk.III Hawk was purposely sold with just one barrel, which was fixed: G.
    I can guarantee that my MkII was bought new, and it was definately supplied with just a .22 barrel. If mine was supplied that way, and so was IanU's MkI it would seem to sugest that it may have been an option. What would a shop gain by removing the additional barrel? Especially a shop like the one mine was bought from that didn't sell air gun parts?
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    I can guarantee that my MkII was bought new, and it was definately supplied with just a .22 barrel. If mine was supplied that way, and so was IanU's MkI it would seem to sugest that it may have been an option. What would a shop gain by removing the additional barrel? Especially a shop like the one mine was bought from that didn't sell air gun parts?
    Seconded

My MK 2 came with just one barrel when new (.22")

Having both barrels was an option that was rarely ordered, which is why the Hawk MK3 came out without interchangeable barrels.

All the best Mick

to the top

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

Having both barrels was an option that was rarely ordered, which is why the Hawk MK3 came out without interchangeable barrels.
    Well I have never, ever, heard of that, and have never seen any reference to the single barrel cost-cutter option in any of the period adverts I have in my archive.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a 'behind the scenes' set up between some dealers and Webley however, and does sort of ad credence to why the Mk.III came with just the one fixed barrel, so I'll say cheers chaps, and ad this to my ever increasing list of mentally stored information.

Have said it before, and will say it again, I believe every day is a school day here in collectors corner, and that is part of this section's enjoyment and draw . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Smile

Crumbs- that's really strange as two lads at our school (back in around '72/73) bought mk1 hawks and both had the two barrels, i know for a fact that one of them came from his mums club book

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post

Crumbs- that's really strange as two lads at our school (back in around '72/73) bought mk1 hawks and both had the two barrels, i know for a fact that one of them came from his mums club book.
    Yes John, that was the norm -- especially via the shopping catalogues -- but I accept now that some shops may have ordered in Mk.I and/or Mk.II Hawks with just one barrel, to keep the cost down for certain customers.

This may also explain why some of the several Hawk Mk.I and Mk.II rifles which have come up for sale of late, have just one barrel with them . Good this learnin' lark, innit . Ha ha. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I paid £27 for my brand new Hawk Mk1 back in 1973. It only came with a .22 barrel as the Ironmonger owner said he had mislaid the .177!

Wish I still had it

hawk

I got myself an hawk mk1 from the man him self johnbaz nice guy I also got a hawk mk 2 with not 1, not 2 but yes 3 barrels the third barrel being in 25cal. sits in the breach all the time. Anything out to 15 yards and airgun game is in the ferret cage. Anyone out there with a set of sights for a mk1 hawk give us a shout please.

Cheers ferret

Webley hawk mk2 manual

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    Well I have never seen any reference to the single barrel cost-cutter option in any of the period adverts I have in my archive.

But that doesn't mean it wasn't a 'behind the scenes' set up between some dealers and Webley however, and does sort of ad credence to why the Mk.III came with just the one fixed barrel.
    Atb: G.

Hi Gareth

It actually gives reference to the Hawk MK 2 being supplied with barrel or barrels in the owners manual (page three of manual, General Instructions, first sentence).
    I have sent you a copy.

All the best Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

Hi Gareth

It actually gives reference to the Hawk MK 2 being supplied with barrel or barrels in the owners manual (page three of manual, General Instructions, first sentence).
    I have sent you a copy.

All the best Mick
    ... Don't you just love this place ??? Brilliant archive material mate. Many thanks indeed . Atb: G.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Crumbs- that's really strange as two lads at our school (back in around '72/73) bought mk1 hawks and both had the two barrels, i know for a fact that one of them came from his mums club book

John
    that's where our hawk mk2 came from,john england club book with 2 barrels!

Mk 2

I too had a Mk 2 with just the .22 barrel bought in 1975, At the time i remember been asked by the guy in the shop if i wanted the .177 as well but i wasn't interested in the .177 so said no i cant remember now how much extra it was. Have read that only 20% of people got the gun with both barrels and that is why the Mk3 didn't have detachable barrels.

I remember going to the gunshop just before christmas 1976 with my parents to buy me a hawk mk2, there were two barrels in the box but the shop offered a discount for just one barrel (.177). I think it cost around £35?
    I picked up a .22 barrel for it a few years ago but I haven't tried it yet
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    I remember going to the gunshop just before christmas 1976 with my parents to buy me a hawk mk2, there were two barrels in the box but the shop offered a discount for just one barrel (.177). I think it cost around £35?
    Daz
    You were robbed Daz

My early .22" Hawk MK 2 (the one with the hawk MK 1 stock ) was bought from F H Burgess Agricultural Engineers in Nuneaton for £23, I still have the invoice and my farm accounts, showing it being entered as "Pest Control".

Being classed as Pest Control allowed my Dad to claim back the VAT and to put it against his Tax returns.

Unfortunately when my Dad had a VAT inspection the one item the VAT man picked up on was the Hawk.

The Vat man asked what calibre the gun was?
    When my Dad told him it was .22", the Vat man said that was all right and allowed the VAT on it to be reclaimed.

I've often wondered what would have been the outcome if the gun had been a .177", would the VAT man have said the gun was for target shooting and as such none VAT reclaimable ?

And if the gun had both barrels would we have only been able to claim half the VAT back.

When I think back F H Burgess only seemed to stock .22" Airguns, I wonder if it was due to some strange loophole in the VAT system ?

All the best Mick

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Daz
    According to my dad, mine cost him £30. That was in September 1976. From Harry Singleton's barber shop, Lordens Hill, Dinnington. There was also one toy shop and a hardware shop in Dinnington that sold airguns at the time, and one green grocer, two cycle shops and a sports shop where you could buy pellets. .22 Beatall pellets were 18p for 200, or you could go up market and get 200 Marksman for 20p. Harry Singleton sold Eley Wasps and Webley pellets but my pocket money only stretched to Marksman.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.