Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasants!

vectra Guest

Pheasants!

Whats the law on shooting pheasants with an air rifle, on your own land?
    Has anyone ever shot one with an air rifle?
    Would you need a game licence?

Yes, you would need a game licence, and need to be in season. And don't do it with an air rifle, not powerful enough. Shotguns only.

Brad

vectra Guest
    What about a good head shot from 15yds? Ive had them that close to me when sniping rabbits.

Dave. Guest
    Yep, head/neck shots will drop them a treat at normal ranges, but must be bang on target.

The pheasants round here are that daft you don;t need a gun, you can walk up to em and ring their necks
    HW100 T .177 - MTC Mamba 3-12x44 IR
    BSA S10K .22 - Bushnell Legend 5-15x40

Quote Originally Posted by Brad54
    Yes, you would need a game licence, and need to be in season. And don't do it with an air rifle, not powerful enough. Shotguns only.

Brad
    Sorry, but your talking ******. Air rifles are more than up to the job, even an accurate Westlake.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davestate
    Sorry, but your talking ******. Air rifles are more than up to the job, even an accurate Westlake.
    Have to agree there - I... *ahem* ....a friend shot (!) one the other day through it's side avoiding the breast and took it out pretty well
    Hey man, Don't shoot the messenger!

An Air Rifle is perfectly adequate weapon to whack a Pheasant with,as long as you go for a head/neck shot which you won't find hard if you hunt a lot with an air rifle,just don't go for body shots.

Makes a nice change to pigeon/rabbit,if your anything like me you've got enough rabbits in the freezer to last a millennium.

Cheers.

Grumpy Guest
    My mate "Nod" used to shoot loads of Pheasants with an Airsporter.

Always at dusk when they'd come in to roost, wait until they settled, make a slight noise, up pops the head and pop goes a Pheasant.

And not a lot of people knew about it, particularly the owners of the Pheasants!

vectra Guest
    I might have to give it a go then! How much is a game licence? And do you get them from a post office?

cooky Guest
    £6 arnt they??

cooky Guest

Unless they are on your own personal land or land nowhere near where shotgunners shoot its a nice gesture to leave them alone.

Firstly they are really not a sporting target with an air rifle, there's no stalk and they cause no damage.

More significantly people shooting pheasants (particularly roosting pheasants as posted above ) is one of the primary reasons we were forced to close our land to several people with air rifles who carried out rabbit control on our syndicate land.

The pheasants are there because someone has reared them at great expense they are not an indigenous species, why would you want to sabotage another of the shooting sports?

Its exactly because of attitutes like that we closed all our land to airgunners, many of whom were entirely blameless but like always one or two bad apples spoiled it for all.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Unless they are on your own personal land or land nowhere near where shotgunners shoot its a nice gesture to leave them alone.

The only time I have shot a pheasant was when they where on my own personal land and near my house hence the use of the air rifle not a shotgun,I wouldn't ever shoot one on any of my shoots,as I am there to control pests not pheasants,the only reason I shot them was because they were being blooming load.

I was by no means saying go out and blow away all the pheasants you see,but saying that an air rifle is up to the task of despatching a pheasant.

I also completely understand what you are saying Richard.

Cheers.

Scooby Do Guest
    "It,s just not sporting old chap" Pheasants are so tame or thick that it makes them an easy target,they have to be chased into the air where they become a sporting shot with a shotgun I don't like the taste of the Bu**Er's anyway