Thread: SSP Pistol Lubrication

SSP Pistol Lubrication

I have a Gamo Compact and an HW40 which are running just fine but I'd like to keep them that way

What I'd like to know is what's the best lubricant for the breech seal and the piston assembly and piston head.

I've read various tips in the forum but for every expert there's an equal and opposite expert there and now I'm getting confused.

The contenders are:

Crosman Pellgun oil
    SAE 30 ND (non detergent) Oil - suppossedly same as Pellgun oil but not red
    Automatic transmission fluid - ATF - suppossedly same as Pellgun oil
    Silicone oil like Abbey SM50 '0' rings only? OK for metal/metal contact?
    Molykote 111 specifically for 'O' rings never metal/metal contact

I've got some Bisley Gun Oil* (not Gun Lubricant) can I just use this for everything (breech seal and pistol tube)? I also have some Bisley Gun Grease** which I'd use for the pivots.

Could some kind soul please clear up my confusion definatively

*high quality, light viscosity mineral oil especially formulated for quality sporting guns.
    **molybdenum disulphide based
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection

(replying to my own thread )

Pellgun oil appears to be Monolec GFS SAE 30 engine oil according to Crosman:

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/msds/MSDS-PELLGUNOIL.pdf

SAE 30 ND (non detergent) oil maybe the way to go. Is ATF the same?
    I plink therefore I am
    Weihrauch HW100S Air Arms S400 GinB Feinwerkbau C60 Weihrauch HW77K Steyr LP10 Feinwerkbau C55 Brocock Aim-X Gamo Compact Weihrauch HW40 Click here to see my collection

You have forgot the Feinwerkbau Special Grease.

I use a tiny dab if this in the cylinder and valve O-rings on my SSPs. The O-rings should just look shiny with it, you should not be able to see blobs of grease.

If you don't have that then a tiny amount of silicone grease (Used on divers regulators and bottle O-rings) again just on the O-ring. Do not use silicone on ANY metal to metal moving parts.

HTH

Mark

Garry is offline I scrolled the page up too fast and it fell off
    I've put a drop of Pellgun oil in the intake hole on my Gamo Compact, and haven't noticed any deterioration in performance so far. It's supposed to be good for Crosman seals, so I can't see it being bad for any other types of seals.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    I use a molybdenum disulphide based grease on all sliding metal parts and add the odd drop of pellgunoil in through the air inlet, no problems so far,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Thumbs up Lube

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I use a molybdenum disulphide based grease on all sliding metal parts and add the odd drop of pellgunoil in through the air inlet, no problems so far,
    Regards,
    Nick
    "DITTO"...mike...