Thread: old pub bell target/gecado 50 with diopetres

old pub bell target/gecado 50 with diopetres

old pub bell target as it came out of the pub,the bell seems to work by electrical contact ,chain to reset after every shot,,can anyone shed any info on the maker of the unit please??
    the box is around 16in square with light bulb fitted indide,is it worth cleaning up or left as it is?
    also part of the bereavement sale is a gecado model 50,, 177 air rifle fitted with diopetre sights,the action has been painted black at some time there is no pitting any info /values on the above greatly appreciated!!some more very interesting stuff coming very shortly
    thanks in advance
    rgds scirroco
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36356274@N03/4337578552/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3635627...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3635627...n/photostream/

Hi Scirroco,

The Gecado 50 would have been known as an original 50 in the UK and dates from the 1950s. I would estimate value at around £150

As for the Bell target, well that is interesting. I'm guessing from your query there are no markings on the target to indicate a maker. The electrics would have been for an illuminating lamp (really old ones had gas connections) and I would leave as is, other than maybe a clean up. I need to be careful with a valuation due to forum rules but if the bell mechanism works, I would personally part with £350 for a target like this.

Hope this helps.
    John

hi josie /john the bell does actually work!! so does the light!! just tried it in the kitchen,but the bell is not as crisp as it should be,most probably due to dirty electrical connections,will take apart over the next few days and give a gentle clean and see if i can find a manufacturers name ,ive just took the target plate off none of the screws are corroded so a good start will keep you informed if i can find a makers name
    many thanks
    rgds scirroco

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    I would personally part with £350 for a target like this.

Hope this helps.
    John
    Thats a sod, our pub skipped half a dozen a few years ago
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

For info, the Gecado/Diana 50 has an Anschutz diopter sight on it. It's a good one, just not one that would have been bought with the gun. Not sure about the front sight.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

hi garvin thanks for that
    rgds scirroco

Rws 50

Hi,
    That looks like a RWS 50 to me, under lever tap loading.Nice looking stock, had one of these in the 80's. If you like a challenge , strip the trigger mechanism!!

The bell target is not one that I have ever seen in old gun catalogues, but appears to be based on a 1950's Parker-Hale design, though the outer case/cover is entirely different to the P/H type.
    My guess is that it is a home made unit made by a skilled hobbyist, hence the rather Heath Robinson appearance.
    It is possible that the actual target face & mechanism is a P/H unit adapted to an electrical circuit and then placed within a home made surround?
    Worth entirely what someone is prepared to pay, but £350 would be a very good start indeed!

where are the parker hale normally marked??
    rgds scirroco

Whilst the pre 1st war cast iron bell targets had a name cast into the frame, the 1930's/1950's Parker-Hale target consisted of the round target area set within an outer steel casing, and neither were marked with any name.
    As an optional extra these targets were available with a large outer cover into which the target hung, and this cover had a facility for illumination to be added.
    This cover also had a decal on the front of it with the name of the manufacturer on it, but it was easily worn away.
    If you look at some of the early post war Parker-Hale catalogues this target is well documented therein, and you might be able to compare it with what you have.

hi slug gun
    many thanks for that
    rgds scirroco