Thread: HW35 calibre differences?

HW35 calibre differences?

Hello are there any differences besides the barrel assembly in .177 and .22 models of the Weihrauch HW35? Can a .177 barrel be fitted to a .22 model?

cheers Dave

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi and welcome to the BBS and collectors corner. Yes, a .177 barrel can be fitted to a .22 but you'll have to include the breech block in with the change over, too, as the tensile steel pin locating an HW35 barrel to its respective block, is a pig to remove. The other thing to remember, is to re-set the piston, as putting a .177 barrel straight on a .22 action, can quite likely result in an under powered rifle: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

yes i've done this,usually the breech block is fitted to the barrel(well the new barrel i got was)....was a cracking gun in .177

thank you, i have just bought a HW35e 22" barrel which is pretty much as new though its 25-30 years old. every part original. i usually shoot .177 and only bought the .22 because i couldnt let it pass as its a minter. its got a fair bit of recoil which is i'd like to tame a little. would a change to a smaller calibre help in this case? I am also thinking of a bonnie and clyde tune up to incoperate a delrin former and top hat. The original spring looks dry as the rifle has been pretty mush unused and is still pretty stiff - no twang. Any thoughts on this? Cheers Dave

Hi. The tuning kit is a good move as B&C are very good, but in answer to your recoil question, if you wish to keep the same/similar power/ft.lb level. purely by the extra energy needed to hurl a lighter/smaller pellet with the same force, the smaller the calibre, the far greater the recoil, as the far greater the force needed to do the same. Hope this further helps. Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

hi, i have fitted a b&c kit to my 35 and it greatly improved both the smoothness and the recoil,
    check the breech seal is ok, a leaking one wont help the recoil,,,or anything else for that matter and they are cheap,
    i think you will find with the kit fitted and the internals properly lubed with the ones supplied in the kit, it will be a diffrent rifle
    atb
    paul
    hw 80custom, , hw 35 luxus, hw35 std,

a good tuning kit is a good investment for the 35,i fitted a vmach with a lazaglide spring when mine was a .22 35k but needed some washers when i fitted the 35 .177 barrel assembly.

11ft.lbs and not much recoil after i fitted piston liners ans polished all metal to metal contact area's.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post

if you wish to keep the same/similar power/ft.lb level. purely by the extra energy needed to hurl a lighter/smaller pellet with the same force, the smaller the calibre, the far greater the recoil, as the far greater the force needed to do the same.
    To high-light this further, imagine personally throwing half a brick thirty feet. Now imagine exerting enough force to throw a cotton wool ball the same distance, and you will see what I mean . Again, hope this helps. Atb: G.

brilliant thanks for your advice - i'll get in touch with shotmaster.

cheers dave