Thread: 200m with a 12ft/lbs .177 HW100?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon25 View Post
    I seem to remember buying a BSA Meteor new in about 1978. With it came a safety leaflet warning that pellets could travel up to 350 yards. Don’t suppose there is a cat in hells chance of hitting a bus at that range, but a HW100 at 200 seems quite feasible.

Why do people always doubt what they can’t achieve themselves? Try it before you knock it.
    Here Here

The furthest i have shot is 93 meters, at paper target on wood, but it didn't break the paper!

What was the size of the grouping? Mine was about 5-7inch spread from what i could tell at the slight marks on the paper sounds like i could learn a thing or two from you!

Nice shooting!

Hi thats strange, according to Hawke chairgun you should have about 4ftlbs energy at 100yards!
    I dont know what the grouping would be like at 200meters, I just go lucky if I hit the tin can LOL. The results were inconsistent,most times it only dented the cans but occasionally it did puncture them with a Daystate rangemaster

when I was a lad I owned a BSA cadet 177,in the barracks where I lived my bedroom overlooked the sports ground which in the far corner had a pavilion with a galvanised steel roof,this was around 300yds from my window and I could hit this using the cadet,I could not pick a spot but by applying loads of elevation I could hear the pellet strike the galvanised roof,mind you in the time it took to reach this hut I could make serious inroads into War and Peace,we also used to make bombs from lengths of old tv ariel and weedkiller and sugar but thats another story.
    Back to the topic of long distance shooting I say well done that lady I am going to have a go with my career when the weather is warm enough for my old bones

allways enjoy your ratting vids emma,keep em comin and dont listen to the plonkers who cant shoot
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

This thread is good reading if only to bring home just how far a pellet fired at the legal limit can travel. It also shows at 200 yds there is enough energy left to cause an injury!

I do a lot of beachcasting with large lead weights. The optimum casting angle for maximum distance seems about 30-40 degrees depending on the wind.

One day I found myself on a quiet and very wide estuary with the air rifle rather than the rod. Not shooting at fishes - but weather/tides not suiting the fish I felt like exploring and my new HW77 needed running in so I took it with me.

It was a flat, mirror calm surface on the river and the pellet splashes easily seen at distance. So I gradually lifted the elevation of each shot to see just how far the pellet would travel. No measuring tape but my guess then was well over 200 yds and possibly 300. When I got home I confirmed this by checking the width of the tributary that entered the main estuary where I was shooting on an OS map.

I am reluctant to take shots into trees now! Almost vertical shots the pellet will have little energy left when it returns to earth - but at 30 degrees it might still cause some damage!