Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 200m with a 12ft/lbs .177 HW100?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

surprised myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Backblast View Post
    I believe I saw the same video a while back. Was it the one were the girl was shooting tin cans at 200M? Her elevation was like 10 yards or something I believe she said or maybe 12 yards It was rediculous. Also she was elevated were she was aiming from so the targets stayed in her mils. The end were it showed a hole in the tin can was pretty unrealistic at that range though, at only 12Ftlb
    It may seem unrealistic to make a hole in the can at 200m with 12ftlbs, to be honest I dont know if I would believe it either only I do because it did, very surprised myself!
    I am not wanting to start a debate, it would be best for you to try it for your self
    Oh it was a Daystate Rangemaster 4.53 pellet, the only one that would do it!

200 metre shot

The rangemaster pellets must be worth having if they can hole a tin can at that distance.

Yeah i was pretty suprised it holed still too

In the US, 200yd .22 rimfire competitions are quite common and surprisingly accurate! In Michigan (when I lived there) we had one comp a year, but elevation was always the problem. From 25yds to 50m was 10 clicks up on an Anschutz iron sight. 50m to 100yds was 40 clicks. Most shooters were using scopes for the 200yds shoot.

Bob M

Quote Originally Posted by cubleycat View Post
    It may seem unrealistic to make a hole in the can at 200m
    I haven't seen the video. Maybe its realistic with soft drink cans, made of aluminium compared to hard "tins" (tinned steel cans) ...?

I seem to remember buying a BSA Meteor new in about 1978. With it came a safety leaflet warning that pellets could travel up to 350 yards. Don’t suppose there is a cat in hells chance of hitting a bus at that range, but a HW100 at 200 seems quite feasible.

Why do people always doubt what they can’t achieve themselves? Try it before you knock it.

Great shooting keep it up.
    Last edited by Falcon25; 07-03-2010 at 11:32 PM.
    Make every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon25 View Post
    I seem to remember buying a BSA Meteor new in about 1978. With it came a safety leaflet warning that pellets could travel up to 350 yards. Don’t suppose there is a cat in hells chance of hitting a bus at that range, but a HW100 at 200 seems quite feasible.

Why do people always doubt what they can’t achieve themselves? Try it before you knock it.
    Here Here

The furthest i have shot is 93 meters, at paper target on wood, but it didn't break the paper!

What was the size of the grouping? Mine was about 5-7inch spread from what i could tell at the slight marks on the paper sounds like i could learn a thing or two from you!

Nice shooting!

Hi thats strange, according to Hawke chairgun you should have about 4ftlbs energy at 100yards!
    I dont know what the grouping would be like at 200meters, I just go lucky if I hit the tin can LOL. The results were inconsistent,most times it only dented the cans but occasionally it did puncture them with a Daystate rangemaster

when I was a lad I owned a BSA cadet 177,in the barracks where I lived my bedroom overlooked the sports ground which in the far corner had a pavilion with a galvanised steel roof,this was around 300yds from my window and I could hit this using the cadet,I could not pick a spot but by applying loads of elevation I could hear the pellet strike the galvanised roof,mind you in the time it took to reach this hut I could make serious inroads into War and Peace,we also used to make bombs from lengths of old tv ariel and weedkiller and sugar but thats another story.
    Back to the topic of long distance shooting I say well done that lady I am going to have a go with my career when the weather is warm enough for my old bones

allways enjoy your ratting vids emma,keep em comin and dont listen to the plonkers who cant shoot
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

This thread is good reading if only to bring home just how far a pellet fired at the legal limit can travel. It also shows at 200 yds there is enough energy left to cause an injury!

I do a lot of beachcasting with large lead weights. The optimum casting angle for maximum distance seems about 30-40 degrees depending on the wind.

One day I found myself on a quiet and very wide estuary with the air rifle rather than the rod. Not shooting at fishes - but weather/tides not suiting the fish I felt like exploring and my new HW77 needed running in so I took it with me.

It was a flat, mirror calm surface on the river and the pellet splashes easily seen at distance. So I gradually lifted the elevation of each shot to see just how far the pellet would travel. No measuring tape but my guess then was well over 200 yds and possibly 300. When I got home I confirmed this by checking the width of the tributary that entered the main estuary where I was shooting on an OS map.

I am reluctant to take shots into trees now! Almost vertical shots the pellet will have little energy left when it returns to earth - but at 30 degrees it might still cause some damage!

Thumbs up

just thought i would have my say on this seeing as everyone else seems to be haveing a post fest

Cubleycat good on you nice shooting keep it up and yes to the others who seem to be greatly confused by the fact that someone who decided to share with everyone her skills and that a LEGAL air rifle can indeed strike cans and still knock them over and hole one at the 200m distance she has stated and proved why doubt it

Answer is you doubt her because you cant do it and are scared to try it, given the right conditions and skill of the shooter, scope setup and good selected pellets then you could do the same so go try it.

I decided to try it and took me a few shots (45 to be exact) with 5mph wind from the left to right and all i can say is yes it works used the same pellets jsb exacts .177 weight 8.4g but used both my Air Arms EV2 mk1 776 on the chrono and my s410 .177 was 780 muzzle energy on the chrono so both LEGAL set shot on my permission land with the owner present, used a archery bow rest front and rear sat on a shooting stool and played never tried this range untill seeing the vid useually dont shoot beyond max 70yrds at paper targets so was interesting to try it and i had such a grin when the tin i placed went over that i placed with a lasered 200m distance from me then paced and measured by tape to be sure

So to all the doubters before you say "cant be done, fake, lier, that can not be true " go and play try it if you hit then you know if not practice till you do because it is possible

and yes i have saw 64 videos of cubleycats videos with interest and tried a few and can only say "Cubleycat great shooting good skills great vids and keep it up one day you might try competitions you would love it or you could start a doubting people school and charge them to learn how to do it because they seem to love watching free vids of how to do it and saying fake etx so say charge them for the visit one tin of pellets for the privilage of a live demonstration then see and take a photo of there faces once proved wrong, collect the tin of pellets and make a photo gallery with names of the doubters now that would be worth a tin of pellets anytime "
    cheers Andy
    Last edited by madandy; 27-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth

i would have thought it very possible to do

i think alot of people see that we shoot live things out to 40 yards ish and think that is all they are capable of like they just fall to the floor after that when if you have the right angle then they will go alot further

good on you for shooting out to that range and seeing hat you can do

if you ever want an independant witness i dont think im far away

keep it up

making me want a .177 now

just gonna look for the 200 yard shot now

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    i would have thought it very possible to do

i think alot of people see that we shoot live things out to 40 yards ish and think that is all they are capable of like they just fall to the floor after that when if you have the right angle then they will go alot further

good on you for shooting out to that range and seeing hat you can do

if you ever want an independant witness i dont think im far away

keep it up

making me want a .177 now

just gonna look for the 200 yard shot now
    it is not just the .177 that can do it i have tried it with both .177 and .22 and both are capable of hitting the 200yard mark .177 slightly easier but the .22 needs more angle due to the dropoff being greater due to gravity but just a tad harder but try it and see you will have great fun and a big grin once you work it out 200yards from a sub 12ft/lb Airgun is possible with practice, time, weather and patience
    have fun
    Andy
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth