Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 200m with a 12ft/lbs .177 HW100?

Quote Originally Posted by cubleycat View Post
    It may seem unrealistic to make a hole in the can at 200m with 12ftlbs, to be honest I dont know if I would believe it either only I do because it did, very surprised myself!
    I am not wanting to start a debate, it would be best for you to try it for your self
    Oh it was a Daystate Rangemaster 4.53 pellet, the only one that would do it!
    Good for you, I would love to be able to hit cans at 200m with a rimfire, let alone a 12ft lb rifle!
    How sad would the person who reported you to the police have to be?
    Videos such as yours simply act to create new interest in the sport, which can only be an excellent thing.

Thanks for posting them

when I was a lad I owned a BSA cadet 177,in the barracks where I lived my bedroom overlooked the sports ground which in the far corner had a pavilion with a galvanised steel roof,this was around 300yds from my window and I could hit this using the cadet,I could not pick a spot but by applying loads of elevation I could hear the pellet strike the galvanised roof,mind you in the time it took to reach this hut I could make serious inroads into War and Peace,we also used to make bombs from lengths of old tv ariel and weedkiller and sugar but thats another story.
    Back to the topic of long distance shooting I say well done that lady I am going to have a go with my career when the weather is warm enough for my old bones

allways enjoy your ratting vids emma,keep em comin and dont listen to the plonkers who cant shoot
    JB ,FAC superten .22, Dr bob quickfill....ruger 10/22...marlin 795ss .44 taurus

.22 rimfire range

Quote Originally Posted by joekid View Post
    / didnt some tool kill a woman on a horse years ago in surrey,, a farmer shooting pigeons off his roof/ 22lr, a stray bullet came down in a village 2 miles away knocking a woman off her horse killing her,/// dont know if it was the fall or what that did the damage but the bullet struck her head// its a fact.
    Not sure if I remember right here, but an RAF shooting instructor/range officer, told me many (many) years ago that the .22 rimfires we were using at the time, were lethal up to a mile and had a range of 3 if you just let one go up in the air. He also said that the old lee enfield 303 was lethal up to 3 miles and had a range of 7.
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    TeePee always empty when frost on Buffalo nose

Quote Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
    He also said that the old lee enfield 303 was lethal up to 3 miles and had a range of 7.
    maybe the ones in a spitfire

Yes, I believe a .303 will carry 3 miles if elevated at 30 something degrees, and whilst it is still flying it can still kill

I think this whole debate stems from a form of macho jealousy. These guys just can't stand to be beaten at their own game by a woman.

This lady, Emma, is a real tinkerer. She's made all her own NV camera attachments and worked out a lot of solutions to problems by using common sense.......a thing which seems to be sadly lacking in a few doubters on here.

Good luck Emma. I know there are hundreds of shooters that really enjoy your videos on YouTube.
    Daystate Huntsman MKII .177 Pulsar N550 NV
    Logun Solo.177 Hawke Sidewinder 4-12 X 52

To be honest I think it is pretty amazing, just watched the video! When the weather gets better I think I'll be giving it a go. Might start a little closer though.

My only comment- and it certainly isn't meant as a criticism- is that there needs to be pretty nigh perfectly wind free conditions to do this. I have regularly shot legal limit rifles out to 100 yards and those who do it often can achieve impressive accuracy like hitting shotgun cartridges pretty consistently.
    Well done cubleycat for trying something difficult and posting your results.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

200yds shot 12ftlbs

Yes I think it is unlikely and a 12ftlbs airgun would have not much power left at that range. Even FAC airgun would be pretty much useless, this is usually approx 35/38ftlbs at the muzzle.

.22RF (100ftlbs at muzzle) even 200yds is not recommended for this calibre, the sensible shooting distance would be more like 75 -100yds. The most likely small calibre at this range would be .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire).

Any shot with any calibre on target at 200 yds is some shot! and if hunting you simply in an ideal world shoot at a more sensible range to kill cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevee151 View Post
    Yes I think it is unlikely and a 12ftlbs airgun would have not much power left at that range. Even FAC airgun would be pretty much useless, this is usually approx 35/38ftlbs at the muzzle.

.22RF (100ftlbs at muzzle) even 200yds is not recommended for this calibre, the sensible shooting distance would be more like 75 -100yds. The most likely small calibre at this range would be .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire).

Any shot with any calibre on target at 200 yds is some shot! and if hunting you simply in an ideal world shoot at a more sensible range to kill cleanly.
    I think you're missing the whole point here:

1. It's been proven to be a perfectly legitimate video.
    2. All of Emma's guns are below the legal limit (Police certified).
    3 She's plinking at tin cans for God's sake; she's not telling you to go hunting at those distances.

It was an experiment and a bit of fun.......take it for what it is!
    Daystate Huntsman MKII .177 Pulsar N550 NV
    Logun Solo.177 Hawke Sidewinder 4-12 X 52

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I think you're missing the whole point here:

1. It's been proven to be a perfectly legitimate video.
    2. All of Emma's guns are below the legal limit (Police certified).
    3 She's plinking at tin cans for God's sake; she's not telling you to go hunting at those distances.

It was an experiment and a bit of fun.......take it for what it is!
    Well said Casey

good shooting cubleycat

i was with wingnut ^^above^^ when we shot at 93m. the paper target was on 6mm thick plyboard. the pellet dented the board, but didn't penetrate. thanks for taking the time to work out the residual energy of the pellet - it's obvious it loses a lot of energy over the distance, but i had no idea it lost 2/3rds of it i'm sure if the target was paper on cardboard, it would have punched through it without a problem.

it also seemed to drop a long way compared to 60m, but we didn't get enough shots in to determine this definitively. we shoot mainly at normal ranges - up to 60 yds. now i understand you shimmed the rear of your scope with 5mm of cardboard, so that it was shooting 30cm high at 10m. i'd like to try this someday, but for now will stick with the shimming i have at present and go and try 93m again today - it's completely still out there. i'd like to check on the drop, and also grouping at this range

thanks again and all the best
    I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, but it was just some ba$tard with a torch bringing me more work.

Thumbs up

just thought i would have my say on this seeing as everyone else seems to be haveing a post fest

Cubleycat good on you nice shooting keep it up and yes to the others who seem to be greatly confused by the fact that someone who decided to share with everyone her skills and that a LEGAL air rifle can indeed strike cans and still knock them over and hole one at the 200m distance she has stated and proved why doubt it

Answer is you doubt her because you cant do it and are scared to try it, given the right conditions and skill of the shooter, scope setup and good selected pellets then you could do the same so go try it.

I decided to try it and took me a few shots (45 to be exact) with 5mph wind from the left to right and all i can say is yes it works used the same pellets jsb exacts .177 weight 8.4g but used both my Air Arms EV2 mk1 776 on the chrono and my s410 .177 was 780 muzzle energy on the chrono so both LEGAL set shot on my permission land with the owner present, used a archery bow rest front and rear sat on a shooting stool and played never tried this range untill seeing the vid useually dont shoot beyond max 70yrds at paper targets so was interesting to try it and i had such a grin when the tin i placed went over that i placed with a lasered 200m distance from me then paced and measured by tape to be sure

So to all the doubters before you say "cant be done, fake, lier, that can not be true " go and play try it if you hit then you know if not practice till you do because it is possible

and yes i have saw 64 videos of cubleycats videos with interest and tried a few and can only say "Cubleycat great shooting good skills great vids and keep it up one day you might try competitions you would love it or you could start a doubting people school and charge them to learn how to do it because they seem to love watching free vids of how to do it and saying fake etx so say charge them for the visit one tin of pellets for the privilage of a live demonstration then see and take a photo of there faces once proved wrong, collect the tin of pellets and make a photo gallery with names of the doubters now that would be worth a tin of pellets anytime "
    cheers Andy
    Last edited by madandy; 27-03-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth

i would have thought it very possible to do

i think alot of people see that we shoot live things out to 40 yards ish and think that is all they are capable of like they just fall to the floor after that when if you have the right angle then they will go alot further

good on you for shooting out to that range and seeing hat you can do

if you ever want an independant witness i dont think im far away

keep it up

making me want a .177 now

just gonna look for the 200 yard shot now