Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: 200m with a 12ft/lbs .177 HW100?

Quote Originally Posted by tucker31 View Post
    I agree with all the previous posts - great shooting and brilliant for the sport as a whole. Well done Emma.

Does anyone know if this sort of thing would be possible with a carbine? General consensus seems to be there's no difference in accuracy between a carbine and full length gun - but at this range presumably it would?

Cheers all

Sam
    yes very possible,i have shot cans at 156mts away with my Thoeben fenman .22 sub 12ft/lb and it has a 7" anschutz break barrel & like Emma i packed the back of the scope and a super calm day,go for it
    Right then....time for another cuppa

Quote Originally Posted by neilurwin View Post
    it is a fake no hw can reach that no even an air arms s410 xtra fac might do it but it would struggle they would of played with it tuned it up
    perhaps you would like to stand at 200 yrds and let some one shoot at you with a sub 12ftlb air rifle.

paul
    I have guns because i enjoy shooting, what i dont enjoy is being screwed by red tape and a dishonest government.

M100Elan is offline Mind of an athlete...body of a genius
    When I first saw those videos on UT I had no doubts about their authenticity I can't remeber if i posted to back them up. I have certainly backed up other long range shooters on UT. I post as Daystatejoe (even though I shoot airarms now)

I used to love long range shooting. I am no longer a member of a club with a long range but we used to plink coke cans off of the top of the 100yd target frames on still summer evenings at Deadington. Hold over was huge I had to wind the scope down to 6x and my aim point was the thick bar at the bottom of the mildot ret (with a 20 yard zero) so that must be about 6 feet. We got very good at it and on a good day could hit them standing. Aiming was actually pretty simple with that setup I worked on my position, balance and breathing until the bar eclipsed the can and squeezed. Flight time felt like an age with the hit several seconds after the shot. Very good for follow through training though holding position for long enough to watch the hit.

Ohh nearly forgot. The rifle I used was an AAS400 classic running at 10.6ft/lbs (760fps at 8.4gr) the action was all polished and home tuned and the trigger group was polished and re-worked. It was fitted with the standard AA Silencer.

As for power.... Straight through, though the damage was a split in the aluminium on each side rather than a neat hole. The hole on the back of the can was noticably lower than the hole in the front. I'm itching to try shooting at 200yds now but have nowhere to try it.
    Daystate MK4iS .177 - HFT rig
    Skan Bullpup .177 - Plinker
    Airarms ProTarget .177 - FT rig.

Apologies for slightly off-topic - how do you pack the back of a scope up 5mm (nearly 1/4") ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnr527 View Post
    Apologies for slightly off-topic - how do you pack the back of a scope up 5mm (nearly 1/4") ?
    cubleycat used cardboard.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by trooper3.1 View Post
    perhaps you would like to stand at 200 yrds and let some one shoot at you with a sub 12ftlb air rifle.

paul
    Got to be with Emma on this one and let the macho guys fret over not being able to do it themselves,I however can only dream of shooting like that at 200yrds although I have shot 12gauge carts at 75 yards with my s400 .177 but never tried any further .
    Regards Darren

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    cubleycat used cardboard.
    But how's it done. Tried it and put a terrible crimp in my Nightforce NFX.
    Dont know how i'm going to get it straightened out!

i just tried it

hi i have a mk4 daystate platinum with a lightstream scope i just tried the 200metre shot and it works guys i have 12 acres of fields that i own behind my house so i set up a 8x4 sheet of ply at exactly 200 metres using my bushnell lazer rangefinder binos, set up the gun in my benchrest and let a few pellets fly , my gun is cronoed at 11.7 ft/lb and oh my god i hit the board after playing around for an hour i have managed to hit a 6"x4" shoot n c target now ive got to set the gun back up for bisley this sunday but hey i was intriqued to see if it was right and IT IS TRY IT regards lightning

running out of scope elevation

Good shooting cubleycat that sounds ace
    my usual practice if my scope has run out of elevation is use use old 35mm negative film in strips to lift the back of the scope, never used 5mm worth though.
    Dont make all the strips the same width to avoid a hard edge and put some strips narrower than the mount blocks under the front lower block and the top blocks to avoid a hard edge as the mount is now out of alignment with the scope tube, also be very careful not to overtighten the allen bolts!
    Good shooting, ATB John
    AirArms Tx200 Mk111 .177, HW98 .22, Daystate X2sports .22, Beretta Silver Pigeon V 12G, Thomas Wild 12G SxS hammer, Beretta Trap 12G
    "Happiness is a warm barrel" doctordoom

I have,nt seen the video ( my comp. is too slow) but I commend her and think thats fantastic with a sub. 12 lbs rifle , anyone know the cal. ?
    a gun is just a tool how its used is dependant on the person behind the trigger .
    This is why constant restrictions on legal users will have no effect on the unlawfull use of guns or knives !

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    I have,nt seen the video ( my comp. is too slow) but I commend her and think thats fantastic with a sub. 12 lbs rifle , anyone know the cal. ?
    There's a clue in the thread title - 0.177.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

good shooting - why would any one doubt it? - my .177 huntsman could group at well under an inch at 70 yards, so at 210 yards that should be about 3" which should hit a can most times (unless my maths and physics have let me down).

Then you've got to consider can the pellet get there? - would have thought that, given the elevation you normally use for 50 yards if you crank the barrel up to getting on for 45 degrees you'd be going a damn site further, its been years since I did velocity / distance calculations so I'm not going to attempt one now but if I was about to ring the police on someone I'd get the calculator out first!

After that surely its just a case of working out how high to aim and having a steady enough hand and having a constant wind. (I say "just" but that's were all the skill must be).

Anyway stunning shooting.

You don't need to aim at 45*, can't remember exactly but at 100yds it was something like 18"??
    At 200yds it would be a hell of a lot more of course as the pellet is dropping like a stone!

As the guy posted a couple of posts back, you need to be very careful when you 'nip up' the rings, as the edges are going to crease your scope.

Another way to get groups at long distance, is to have a point of aim, that is much higher than your intended target!
    The more expensive but proper way is adjustable mounts!
    Mike.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

just checked chairgun.
    it seems with a 33yd zero @784fps with 8.44's the holdover is less than 24" @100yds!??
    22 mildots and 153"'ish for 200yds....
    Unless i ticked the wrong box or something....
    Last edited by blackscale; 18-11-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: more info.

I use a sportsmatch one piece adjustable mount on my HW98 in .177 and its set for crosshairs on at 100yds, and thats with the scope optically centered!

so if you want to try the extra long range stuff an adjustable mount is prefferable to packing the scope up!

max range I can achieve in our woods is 135yds after that there is no straight line of sight due to trees to extend any further, the other day i saw a 50mm ten shot group at 135yds firing off a zeroing table with my HW100s using mossies!

so I see absolutely no reason why Emma could not hit targets as large as tins at 200!