Thread: MTC Mamba Lite 3-12x44 SCB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    yes, it still impresses me as much as it did, if not more. i tried it side by side with a friends viper 3-12 and to be honest we were both in agreement that the mamba lite had the better sight picture. im not sure if thats because his particular viper is older or what but the mamba was both brighter, and crisper.

i know 2 lads (markyboy and the_caretaker) who both switched to mamba lites from vipers and they say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_kwiky View Post
    yes, it still impresses me as much as it did, if not more. i tried it side by side with a friends viper 3-12 and to be honest we were both in agreement that the mamba lite had the better sight picture. im not sure if thats because his particular viper is older or what but the mamba was both brighter, and crisper.

i know 2 lads (markyboy and the_caretaker) who both switched to mamba lites from vipers and they say the same.
    I've always favoured 25mm tubed scopes to 30mm.

My perception is clearer sight picture from 25mm than 30mm tubes, this includes high end models like Luep's etc too. I don't know why this is or if it's just me, but 30mm always appears more noisy (in the clarity) but I will be sticking with 25mm until a side-by-side comparison with the same spec in 30mm actually proves to have an advantage.

I have never required the additional adjustment which can be achieved by the 30mm tubed models, quite why you would want to move the picture even further from centre, I don't know.

I also agree that the new Mamba is clearer than the equivalent Viper model

MTC, take note, please offer more models in 25mm
    Last edited by tmstech; 28-02-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Addition
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

Thanks mate - that'll do for me.

mark.

with 30mm tube you only gain more elevation for long range shooting ,i don't think that the sight picture is brighter with 30mm tube,more important is the quality of the glass and front objective diameter for better light collecting .

Got the mamba lite at the show and well happy thanks to your review.

brilliant mate, im glad your happy with it.

i have got a mamba 4-16x44 lite

& it is great, i have used the scope & the mct for about 4 hours & the view is nice & clear.

the crosshair is nice too.

hi all,
    I would like to order a Mamba Lite 3-12x44 for HFT , what size of Butler Creek flipups fit the eyepiece and objective ?

thanks
    Peter

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    brilliant mate, im glad your happy with it.
    For what it's worth....

Just picked up a new 3-12x44 lite from MTC.

Got it the next day and popped it onto the huntsman.

I have yet to get out and test it, but the balance is as it was with the nikon (which was nice) but I now have a brighter, sharper, much closer paralaxing scope with a meaningful ret that means I will now take it hunting and use it to it's full potential.

perfec, no point in saying much else as Mr kwicky has already done a great job, except that I compared the image against my nearly new hawk sidwinder 30 (SR6).

The hawk (which was significantly more expensive, has a 30mm tube, and weighs a ton) has some really iffy fringeing issues.....the little mamba does not....ergo, the hawks will all be going sooner rather than later (apart from the big noisy one living in the garden).

There is an interesting review by Jim in the new mag on the lites. Had I not already been convinced I would have bought one anyway.

Seriously functional value that does what it should, and does it well IMHO

Cheers Gary and Sammy

I love the big viper on my rabitting rifle, so it was an obvious choice.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Are they any good for lamping, or would a scope with IR be better?

bossmugler is offline More breaking even than breaking bad

MTC mamba lite

I have just ordered one of these myself in 3-12x44 spec. I sold my Falcon Menace, to fund it, having see kwikys hunting experiences with his mamba lite. It will complement my hunting set up perfectly.

ATB Ian

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Apart from the comments so far....

I have bought these scopes to replace the substantially larger and heavier hawke SR6 Nighteye scopes I had on 2 of my springers and the Huntsman.

It was really down to an article by Jim Tyler about bigger not always being better, it made sense, so I flogged the SR6s and some other odds and sods and re-scoped.

The difference was most marked with the huntsman as it is a very light rifle to start with, so anything lumpy on the roof makes a real difference to balance, ideal.

The springers were ideal too (TX and PS) as it allowed me to drop the scopes much closer to the action, which makes sense as I dont shoot the springers anywhere near as far as the PCPs (Viper).

They really are nice little scopes, bright, and the SCB ret is very good, particular for fairly long range .177

You only just cover a pellet hole at 35 with the cross hairs, so it makes potentially for a much tighter group at 35+ 10x.

The thing is that the side focus is pretty well default accross the range also, a feature without which I would not really consider buying a scope since my first Viper.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

anyone compared the Mamba lite with a Hawke Tactical 10x42 ?
    I'm looking for an upgrade for my Hawke Airmax SR6 which I use for hft

Peter