Thread: hawke panorama 3-9x40 AO IR HK5164

hawke panorama 3-9x40 AO IR HK5164

hello,

i bought this as a scope for hunting mainly.

i wanted a scope that is light compact and with ir ao functions.

the ev is noticeable as it feels like the view of a 50mm scope. (48mm if picky)

firstly as gunshops are not brill around me i had to order online therefor i went by reticle demonstration illistrations. the reticle on this particular scope is alot smaller than the images show. first of all i panicked as i thought the scope reticle was too fine and i would have spent a pointless £113, but after a small amount of use you eyes get used to focusing on the finer lines. the blue and red illumination is a nice feature and was bought primarily for lamping.
    the finish is standard nothing new. the 2 free flip ups are a nice touch, especially as you can use then when down.

now there are lots of variation of this line of products. i choose this as i wanted a 44mm or smaller lense, it to be under 13" and be under 500g, this fitted the bill perfectly. aswell as it had all the features. i don't need the high magnifications as i just don't.

i think this will be a perfect scope for my hw97kt and it makes it alot lighter than using a mtc.
    stuck a pair of bsa mounts on it and a torch mount and it's ready to go when the ammunition arrives.

just a quick review but thats me.

atb
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomSteebs View Post
    hello,

i bought this as a scope for hunting mainly.

i wanted a scope that is light compact and with ir ao functions.

the ev is noticeable as it feels like the view of a 50mm scope. (48mm if picky)

firstly as gunshops are not brill around me i had to order online therefor i went by reticle demonstration illistrations. the reticle on this particular scope is alot smaller than the images show. first of all i panicked as i thought the scope reticle was too fine and i would have spent a pointless £113, but after a small amount of use you eyes get used to focusing on the finer lines. the blue and red illumination is a nice feature and was bought primarily for lamping.
    the finish is standard nothing new. the 2 free flip ups are a nice touch, especially as you can use then when down.

now there are lots of variation of this line of products. i choose this as i wanted a 44mm or smaller lense, it to be under 13" and be under 500g, this fitted the bill perfectly. aswell as it had all the features. i don't need the high magnifications as i just don't.

i think this will be a perfect scope for my hw97kt and it makes it alot lighter than using a mtc.
    stuck a pair of bsa mounts on it and a torch mount and it's ready to go when the ammunition arrives.

just a quick review but thats me.

atb
    tom
    Thanks for the info mate let me know how you get on with it as im thinking of getting one of these for mounting on my camcorder nv rig.
    Mick
    In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters, but victory. -Adolf Hitler

will do

after using it today in overcast conditions, it still was gathering light very well and the reticle i like alot after getting used to it. the elevation turret is accurate with it's number turret face but the windage seemed to need 2-3 times more adjustment for the same movement.

first shot one hit so it can handle the 97's recoil.

overall cannot see anything wrong with it apart from the blue isn't bright enough to use in overcast which is basically what it is built for.

9/10

downsides - not enough brightness setting on blue.
    - windage adjustment seems to be different.

(maybe a downside - doesn't come with mounts but replaced with flip ups.

i have since used this more and have come upon the issue of blue illumination just being pointless for me as my eyes can't focus on the reticle when it is blue. it is meant to be for daytime but red is much better for day shooting i have found.

but the scope is a great all rounder but i think i would have gone for the mtc mamba 3-12x44 because it is brighter and i miss the reticle.