Thread: Webley Premier MK II - when produced?

Webley Premier MK II - when produced?

I know that I should get a copy of Gordon Bruce's book (I have tried), but could anyone tell me when Premier Mk II's were produced?
    The number stamped on the barrel is 746. If that helps.
    I also know I shouldn't buy anymore webleys but I just can't help myself!

I seem to be getting a little addicted

I Think the MK2 Premiers were produced from the late 60's (1967 rings a bell???) through to the early-mid 70's, when it, and the MK2 Junior, were replaced by the Hurricane, Tempest and Typhoon...

The number is a batch number, I think??, not sure if the pistol can be dated by it???
    blah blah

Premier

1975 to 77

Smile WEBLEY PREMIER Mk 2

Dennis Hiller in his book The Colleters Guide to Air Pistols says that production started in 1974 or 75 and finished in 1977, If thats right it must make the Mk2 quite a rare pistol

Quote Originally Posted by coburn View Post
    1975 to 77
    Blimey! as late as that!...thought they were earlier

I used to have Gordon Bruce's book too!...should've read the damn thing before selling it...
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by steve-c View Post
    Dennis Hiller in his book The Colleters Guide to Air Pistols says that production started in 1974 or 75 and finished in 1977, If thats right it must make the Mk2 quite a rare pistol
    D'ya see!...even the bloody newbies know more than me!...pah!

Just teasing you, Steve-c, welcome to the forum

Out of interest...where the hell did I get 1967 from with regard to the Premier???...when did the the first prems with a laquered finish appear???
    blah blah

Premier

The first painted then laquered Premiers appeared around 1973. My steel E series is date stamped 11/73.

The MK2 Premier is indeed a relatively rare, only 24000 being produced, the rarest is the early version with the barrel from the previous steel model, only 1700 were produced compared to the later more common shrouded barrel model.

I have two MK2's, an early and late model, plus my steel E series and I prefer the alloy pistols.

One good feature of the paint over bluing is it is much more durable and I've never seen a painted pistol suffer from rust pitting on the body.

Is there a location for the serial # on the MkII? Also is there a way of telling if its an early or late model?

Anyone know of a website where there is a chronological list of webley's?

So many questions.....

Premier Mark 2

No dating marks for the Mark 2. Earlier models had barrel and front sight same as Mark 1..the later models had cast shroud fitted which formed the foresight and pivot for the cocking linkage. Batch numbers under the grip, Hillier reports numbers from 20 to 996 which maygive indication of age. Made approx 1975 to 1977.

Mike95

Premier

I have a e-series steel premier with date stamp 3.73 batch number 584, I bought it new in june 1974 so they must have hung around in dealers for some time. There is also a e-series with a recess on the R.H.S of the air chamber like the Mk2 that reads webley & scott premier made in england but is still a Mk1 with dates in 1974-75.