Future collectables

With so many rifles on the market today which do you think will
    be Future collectables?
    how does it work? i don`t know but it does

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by bangers View Post

With so many rifles on the market today which do you think will
    be Future collectables?
    If you mean rifles currently available as new, I'd have to say the .177 walnut stocked Theoben Evolution, the .177 walnut stocked Air Arms TX200 and/or Pro Sport, any cal current Daystate, and any cal Hogan Ripley Elite.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Everything that is still around in 30-40years, That is assuming we are still allowed to have airguns then

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by steve-c View Post
    Everything that is still around in 30-40years, That is assuming we are still allowed to have airguns then
    ... Actually, that is probably quite true, but imo the rifles as detailed in my last post will be the cream of the crop from 2008/9/10.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If you look at what's collectable today some stuff becomes collectable because very few examples exist, this can be due to limited high quality production or the self destruction of most of those produced.
    Assuming Airguns are still allowed I expect there will be a few surprises
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

hi i think any PCP in .22 calibre as most seem to be in the preferred calibre these days of .177 abit of a role reversal as nearly all the older spring guns were in .22 but now the .177 springer's are fewer on the ground and command a slightly higher price
    if u live life on the edge then your taking up to much room

22 parker hale phoenix.......

....if that is the one with the winchester style mag cycling.
    Rich.
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

Think of the guns that nobody is currently buying, either because they are in short supply, too expensive or just not fashionable - these are what will be sought after in 50 years time simply because by then they will be rare.
    Guns like the TX200 etc, whilst excellent rifles, will simply be too numerous to be truly collectable unless mint boxed.
    Look at Webley Mk.3's to see what I mean, these can be bought for far less than their quality warrants simply because 80,000 odd of them were made and they don't wear out.
    Also beware the PCP in 30 years time, left unused in a damp loft. I can see a few of those after having rusted invisibly from the inside out, suddenly blowing up when little Johnny in 2040 decides to put 3,000 psi in Grandad's old airgun!

I would think some of the less obvious ones will be sought after. Things like the Diana 54 with its recoiless design. They are not that popular here, they have plastic triggers and guards (anyone know if you can get them custom made in proper materials?) in the US these things are doing 900 fps in .22! That is pretty good. I know you can wind some up far faster, but that is not bad from a springer.

HW77 - loads were built, but they still have a following and are sought after now even. Imagine in another 25 years when they will be 50.

Webley, never had one but I know they were built well. We had BSA Airsporters with the little tap to load with. Powerful in their day - I bet some of those were tweeked in back sheds and garages up and down the country.

Collectable guns

Any nice Rapid and bits..early ones will become rarer as they get used\collected up.
    New ones will only become more expensive in the future...if they exist in 20yrs.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

the daystate X2s with the plastic stocks and RIPLEYS ( real ones )
    will /i believe
    become collectable

itsaheadshot Guest
    any british made rifle/pistol also any rifle with a Walnut stock.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    In 20 years time airgun collecting as a hobby will have gone the same way as stamp collecting, fag/tea card collecting or train spotting. We, as collectors largely do what we do out of nostalgia for what we had when we were kids. Not as many kids these days get an airgun for a present as did all through the 60's, 70's and 80's, so collectors will become rarer, if not extinct.
    As said above though, there's always the chance that in 20 years time we won't even be able to look at a picture of a gun without getting psychiatric screening beforehand and being offered counselling afterwards.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by harry mac View Post
    In 20 years time airgun collecting as a hobby will have gone the same way as stamp collecting, fag/tea card collecting or train spotting.
    I think there may be truth in this, sadly, although 20 years is probably unduly pessimistic. I see a lot of collectors in their 50s and older but not so many of us following on behind and wonder whether the hobby is slowly withering. For this reason I think it's important to collect only within your means, for the pleasure it gives you, rather than imagine airguns are a solid investment for the future.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I only started collecting a year ago - I now have over 30 (2 rifles the rest pistols). Like many I am over 50 (nearer 60) and it was the memory of the Webley Junior I had when I was 14 that got me started. I am getting through at least 1000 pellets a week.

My children (adults) have no interest whatsoever. However my son-in-law and grandaughter (12) were over at the weekend and as soon as he saw the Webley Tempest Simon said - "I had one of those when I was young" and spent the rest of the afternoon shooting it. Similarly Paige had a go on a few until finally settling on the Crosman 2240 - easy to load. Within 10 minutes she was getting decent groups - she got through half a tin of pellets and really enjoyed it.

So there is hope then.