Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Webley Falcon - opinions please!

Webley Falcon - opinions please!

Hello all,

I'm new to the site and it looks like a really helpful forum.

I've got into my mind tracking down a Webley Falcon, having only seen the odd picture on the t'initerweb, and they look a handsome, solid gun and something a little bit different. I've got some bare facts from the Hiller's guide, but I was wondering if anyone out there has some first hand experience of this rifle to give their thoughts and advice on it?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

re falcon

this is a great little collectable that i know is well thought of by a number of collectors;the prices for these are now starting to creep up as they arnt that thick on the ground.i recently picked up a very nice example for £70 .it had great etching ,shot cycle was clean and smooth none of the racket that some of the classic springers are renouned for.they are aesthicly very pleasing with a lovely stock shape .they are of a junior rifle size but that makes them more interesting and more versatile for our younger enthusiasts.they were mfg 1960/70 in .177/22 ,welded scope ramp to body and all metal parts,try to ensure the webley medallion is in place with etching clear not lost in a reblue.i personnaly go for the .177 in the smaller rifles as they suffer less from recoil and yet still quite pokey as the velocity is higher,if its twangy the main spring has been played around with or bound up a goodun should be smooth and a clean let off.in short get one and hold onto it.
    bob
    Last edited by red bob; 10-02-2010 at 10:46 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hi got a webley victor .177 its basicly the same gun. From my experiance of the gun they are a good little gun. Well built and shoot nice. They can do 12ftlb and still shoot nice worth getting one if you can. Regards tonie

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by webley101 View Post
    Hi got a webley victor .177 its basicly the same gun. From my experiance of the gun they are a good little gun. Well built and shoot nice. They can do 12ftlb and still shoot nice worth getting one if you can. Regards tonie
    Victor and Falcon completely different. You're a better man than I am Gungadin if you can get a Falcon doing anything like 12 ft/lbs! 6-8 would be more like it (and erring more towards 6 than 8)
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by webley101 View Post
    no its not basically the same gun, i think you are confusing vulcan and falcon.

the falcon is a 1960's rifle which does roughly 8ft.lbs and uses a leather piston seal.my brother has 1 sitting in the cabinet.

Sorry i did make a mistake thanks for pointing it out it was a vulcan i was confused with sorry guys. Regards tonie

Thanks guys, I'll definitely have to start looking out for a tidy one by the sound of it. I like the idea of a classic fun 'plinker' (and I mean no disrespect by that!) to cherish. I love my Air Arms springers but it would be nice to have something a bit 'handier' for the garden - so 6-8 ftlb's isn't an issue as long as it shoots sweetly! It sounds like an interesting alternative to an old Meteor, which I had previously been thinking about.

If anyone has any pics of their own Falcon I'd be really interested to see them - I've struggled to find very much on the web......

The cost of that airgun lark is starting to mount up - it was hard work justifying too the other half that I needed a second one, let alone more.... I know, I won't tell her.

.177 has already been put up as preferable to a .22 for the Falcon - presumably due to the age of the gun .22's are the more common?

Thanks again for the responses so far.

Cheers, Tim.

Had one of these in the early 80's, very basic externally and crudely built internally.....But it shot very well!
    "..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

Main achilles heel with the Falcon is the wear that takes place where the cocking link mates with the piston assembly, breeches can also wear dramatically. The metal on the piston rear collar that the cocking link pushes on, is very thin and if worn requires a repair to the piston assembly (they are no longer available). I have repaired my own Falcon by replacing this chromed steel collar with a stainless one. The diameter is not a standard size and needs work to make 1" tube fit into the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by T-rap Shot View Post
    Main achilles heel with the Falcon is the wear that takes place where the cocking link mates with the piston assembly, breeches can also wear dramatically. The metal on the piston rear collar that the cocking link pushes on, is very thin and if worn requires a repair to the piston assembly (they are no longer available). I have repaired my own Falcon by replacing this chromed steel collar with a stainless one. The diameter is not a standard size and needs work to make 1" tube fit into the cylinder.
    I think I have most of one in bits, had a few & like them !
    As was mentioned above, Webley forgot to harden the cocking link connector on the piston, ??
    I have some spares & can repair the pistons Etc, & have done a number,

Nice gun, But not the quality of the Mk 111, Its intresting that I had an action ( Complete ) for sale £20 No takers, I swapped it , With a gun & bought it back, ( Same price )
    I am beginning to think that this generation will no longer collect the guns we grew up with ? Ged.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    Ged

You want to get rid of your action? I have a spare stock it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by ogilkes View Post
    Ged

You want to get rid of your action? I have a spare stock it seems.
    Hi Ollie, I know you have bought a couple of guns off me, But I bought it back to break !
    Some one wants sights, Another a piston Etc, I might just hang on to it for a while, All the best, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi Ollie, I know you have bought a couple of guns off me, But I bought it back to break !
    Some one wants sights, Another a piston Etc, I might just hang on to it for a while, All the best, Ged.
    I've been trying to source a barrel/breech joint screw & stop screw without success. Don't suppose you have any?

falcon very much in demand ?

it makes a loverly change to hear so many people agreeing on what i think is one of the most shootable air guns of all time i love them .there is no outher gun that i enjoy shooting quite as much.is it the feel,the weight.the balance the look or just the sence of getting back to the very basics of shooting that i love so much ?when i shoot mine i still feal like the 7 year old boy out shooting with my dad again ,my wife says to me why do you have to have two ?how to you answer that ? if you do get your self one of these wonderful guns i hope that you get as much pleasure from yours as i do mine.

Quote Originally Posted by T-rap Shot View Post
    I've been trying to source a barrel/breech joint screw & stop screw without success. Don't suppose you have any?
    Hiya mate, I will split the action if enough members want the parts ?
    I also have 2, Webley Mk 111,s One nice, Old Used, good action , Walnut stock I think, And another, repaired stock possibly a breaker . I can post pics etc, but I am not going to Un-Hibernate them if only a little intrest is shown.

However, After trying this before, Only certain parts are asked for !
    give it a try & put prices per part up if enough intrest. Ged