Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HFT target Colours

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex

HFT target Colours

At Buxted we have dark spots in the woodland and up until recently used black face plates with yellow KZ.

We often have targets tucked away behind trees and through pipes etc using UKAHFT rules on placement to the full.

Some really good(in my opinion) placements often resulting in people on a big shoot day being unable to locate the target quickly therefore slowing the line down.

We have now gone as I have noticed others have been using for a while to a yellow face plate with a black KZ. This seems to have a two fold effect, the target tends to jump out of the dark spots at you and the KZ also seems when shot up to be much more easily defined.

Only downside now seems that when shooting away the black face plates seem so much harder to see than I thought they were before.

The new colour scheme seems to make the course more of a shooting test as opposed to an eyesight test.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

This seems like a good idea.......

........dark targets in dark woods are a great test of your wallet i.e. have you got a scope with great optics that enables it to be seen easily (likely to be a relatively pricey bit of kit beyond the reach of most juniors for instance)

Saying that for those like me (lack of skill and practice) it won't matter what colour they are painted, I will only get a good score if all tragets are at 25 yards with 12" KZs
    WANTED: Next weeks winning lottery numbers :-)

The new colour scheme seems to make the course more of a shooting test as opposed to an eyesight test.

Which is a lot better for us who don't see colours as good as most people.

Deek

we paint our hft targets down here with a white face plate and a black killzone. these show up well in any conditions we have shot in.

We vary, on big shoots we normally use white or yellow on the majority of targets, that would be hard to find.....but not always...trying to find a pink!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Alegazmoz is offline Southern Hunter Burger Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    We vary, on big shoots we normally use white or yellow on the majority of targets, that would be hard to find.....but not always...trying to find a pink!
    Those gingham & tartan one's you had last year were pretty good .....
    ..... though the Laura Ashley prints were a bit over the top.

arf!

At our club the HFT targets are red with a yellow kill. They are also rectangular, which means they have a pretty hard outline and to date there have been no issues with red/green colour blindness.

Our FT targets are black with a yellow kill for freestyle, and yellow with a black kill if they are positionals.

Yellow faceplates with black kill. Light kills seem to give later shooters slight disadvantage as they are shot up.
    Make every shot count.

We proposed yellow face plate, black KZ for the recent Ford SIHFT. One of our members objected as he cannot see the black cross hairs against a black KZ. So we didn't.

I've never found that to be a problem, anyone else?

Richard
    http://www.ford-hft.org.uk
    You come into this world with nothing, go out in debt and you've made a profit

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast View Post
    We proposed yellow face plate, black KZ for the recent Ford SIHFT. One of our members objected as he cannot see the black cross hairs against a black KZ. So we didn't.

I've never found that to be a problem, anyone else?

Richard
    Can't say as I have Richard. Recently though I've become a fan of blue plate with white kill, which would appear to tick all the boxes.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

..Is that Walther blue Ryan...

Seriously though..(as if)...I think it is good to vary the colours, as you can make long targets appear closer and vice-versa....It also stops it being boring!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    ..Is that Walther blue Ryan...

Seriously though..(as if)...I think it is good to vary the colours, as you can make long targets appear closer and vice-versa....It also stops it being boring!
    Spongey if you're starting to find shooting so boring that changing the colour of what you're shooting at does it for you. Then you may as well take me up on my kind offer for your knackered Dommie and take up knitting with Kingplinker!

Any colour blue will do as it's not a natural colour it stands out nicely in the wood dunnit!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    The human eye (central vision) is most sensitive to the wavelength corresponding to yellow. That is why we see black letters best against a yellow background. Yellow is the most "seeable" wavelength.

Lifted the above from this a lot to read

Hence when you go (I do alot) to the eye clinic at the hospital the signs for it are usually black writing on yellow background and on the roads lots of hazard signs are black on yellow noticed all the armco end sections on the motorways that have been put in place yellow and black striped.

I agree with the not being able to see the crosshair on the black KZ (how do they aim off on a black plate?)

Funnily enough though someone down the club said paint the faceplates yellow but don't paint the KZ. This does work I have bad eyesight and struggle to see close 15mm once shot up but find the yellow plate and a shot out KZ easier to distinguish than anything so far todate. Someone would moan they couldn't see their pellet strikes now that could be a result as it will stop Daniel Boone calling splitters as a faulty target

I agree the light blue was easy to see but I had problems with the plate and KZ merging once shot up a bit.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by simmmo View Post
    The human eye (central vision) is most sensitive to the wavelength corresponding to yellow. That is why we see black letters best against a yellow background. Yellow is the most "seeable" wavelength.

Lifted the above from this a lot to read

Hence when you go (I do alot) to the eye clinic at the hospital the signs for it are usually black writing on yellow background and on the roads lots of hazard signs are black on yellow noticed all the armco end sections on the motorways that have been put in place yellow and black striped.

I agree with the not being able to see the crosshair on the black KZ (how do they aim off on a black plate?)

Funnily enough though someone down the club said paint the faceplates yellow but don't paint the KZ. This does work I have bad eyesight and struggle to see close 15mm once shot up but find the yellow plate and a shot out KZ easier to distinguish than anything so far todate. Someone would moan they couldn't see their pellet strikes now that could be a result as it will stop Daniel Boone calling splitters as a faulty target

I agree the light blue was easy to see but I had problems with the plate and KZ merging once shot up a bit.

Andy
    Interesting link Andy, every days a school day.

Mog is offline Mog has so much potential but does not apply himself fully.
    St Hilaire du Harcouët, Lower Normandy/East Sussex
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    Interesting link Andy, every days a school day.
    Agreed, very interesting, Andy's not just a pretty face.

On the subject of 'losing the reticle' the only time that's happened to me recently, was the target in a tunnel of foliage. on the Worlds 'Woods' course, think it might have had more to do with reduced light rather than faceplate colour, I do know that I've had a lot less problems with this since I gone from 10x to 8x with the LightStream.
    Truttemer Tir Club

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité