Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of filler in revolver?

Use of filler in revolver?

Hi all,

I've just bought an ArmiSanMarco .44 Remington NMA. But I used to use a .44 Colt Army (many years ago...).

With the colt the ram rod would push the ball in as far as you wanted, but with the NMA the rod will only push the ball in so far. Therefore, unless it is loaded up with a full load (estimate about 25 to 30 grains) there will be an air gap - which I understand is a bad thing. (Is it?)

So I guess I need to use a filler - but how? Do you mix it with the BP before loading - do you put in a measure of powder, then a measure of filler?

Also what filler do you use? And why?

Thanks, and please forgive the newbie questions.

McT

8mm thick felt wad but if you want to use filler put semolina on top of your blackpowder and then ram ball.

semolina.
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

DRY semolina

I use polenta. This has a similar grain size to fffg powder and meters well from my second powder flask. I found semolina was a bit messy as it is a fine powder.
    The polenta just pours into the chamber like the gunpowder.
    Daz

Quote Originally Posted by acmsarh View Post
    DRY semolina
    bit remiss of me not to mention that .. laugh, I nearly prolapsed It's a strong mental image isn't it .. semolina pud with a splash of jam being rammed down the chamber
    My wife complains that I've got more sense than money.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Wad

I use semi greased felt wads. They seem to keep the powder residue softened and make cleaning easier.

There have also been comments on this site about complaints from people who clean the range. The semolina can make a bit of a mess apparently.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Hi McTrucky

DONT mix the filler & powder

Its all about choice - my dad uses semolina or cous couse & I use 3 x 1/8" wads (4 if I'm feeling generous !!)

We both seem to get about the same result on the target and I have to be honest - I have shot both my Remmy NMA & my Ruger OA - with the ball down on the powder so waaaaay short of the cylinder face & it didn't seem to make a lot of difference on the target. I feel the wads (one of them is lubed) keep fouling to a minimum - so thats the way I go (its all part of the fun - trying diffent ways & making your decision !!)

I premeasure my BP at home into vials so does dad - but he then uses a measure scoop (cut down 9mm case on a lollystick) to put the filler in

I think whichever way you go - as usual its about consistency I have tried many combinations/loads etc - I ran 18gn powder in my NMA & am doing the same at the moment in my Ruger OA - and yes you are correct - NO SPACE ABOVE THE POWDER

Let me know if I can help in any way - you are not to far away - we shoot at Bisley

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 04-03-2010 at 07:01 PM.

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Have to agree with Harricook, thats the way I shoot my NMA & never had any problems. 18gr pyrodex, lubed wad, round ball down & a gap between ball & top of cylinder. its allright.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Myself and some of the lads, have been experimenting with fillers.

As well as the usual semolina, and cous cous, we have tried, polenta, poppy seed, tapioca, and one guy swears by washing powder.

It seems that any inert material, that fills the gap seems to work fine.

Had a pack of semolina in the cupboard' alongside gun oil & such, for ages and only ever used it for filler - we never eat the stuff.

No sign of it one day whern getting ready for shooting.

On enquiring as to whereabouts of my filler to my wife (who'd had a clear out) was informed "it was out of date so I threw it away". Bless!

Use ground rice now - couldn't find any semolina in the shop

Had bad experience with semolina. Too fine and tends to jam between the ball and the chamber wall, eventually forming a ring which ensures that subsequent balls will never seat properly, despite heaving - eventually they just won't seat sufficiently.

All problems went away with Polenta.

Quick tip re loading with filler - I never measure it out, no need. Measure and fill all chambers with powder, then I use the polenta inside one of these gearbox oil containers (they have the long nozzle-like pull-out pour spout) which I apply to each chamber whilst rotating the cylinder. When the polenta is flush with the cylinder it seems that ramming the ball results in correct compression with the ball seating only just far down enough to clear the barrel which is I suppose the ideal.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Thanks everyone.

I guess that there is no substitute for experience and I just need to play around with the options and see what works for me.

Cheers
    McT

hi most on this site seem to use semolina , a lot of success can be had from fine tea ," lidl ", you can still use traditional powder measuring .devices....just a thought..
    .martin

Bang

Go for the big BANG fill it up with powder and give it to someone else to fire