Thread: Advise on setting up a Custom PCP Pistol

Advise on setting up a Custom PCP Pistol

I have a PCP based on Crosman/Discovery that I want to set up as a pistol

I have had a few sessions at the gun club with a chrono. But despite using several fills from 150 - 200 bar and several hammer springs the gun had a very sharp power curve typically from 3fpe peaking at 6fpe for a dozen shots and down to 3fpe. I will post the reading from my next visit.

Has anyone experience setting up a Custom PCP or Discovery based pistol. I am looking for a consistancy and high shot count.

I have had a few replies from other forums and they advise a combination of a lighter hammer, lighter hammer spring, HDD, a valve mod and restricted transfer port .....

Or I might try and find a gunsmith who could set it up for me ! .. anyone out there.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks
    Ian
    Last edited by tayloriand; 15-02-2010 at 07:04 AM.
    http://www.dukinfieldagc.org.uk/
    Dukinfield Air Gun Club
    Stockfield Mill, Chadderton, OL9 9EW

Do you mean you want to modify a Crosman Discovery rifle and turn it into a pistol. You need to be very careful doing that, in the eyes of the law once a rifle always a rifle.

Why don't you sell it and buy a Crosman Silhouette PCP Target Pistol or a Crosman Marauder ? Or one of the fine UK made PCP pistols ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpw View Post
    Do you mean you want to modify a Crosman Discovery rifle and turn it into a pistol. You need to be very careful doing that, in the eyes of the law once a rifle always a rifle.

Why don't you sell it and buy a Crosman Silhouette PCP Target Pistol or a Crosman Marauder ? Or one of the fine UK made PCP pistols ?
    wrong,that applies to pistols going over 6 ft.lbs and being altered to rifle/carbines but not rifle to pistol.

the best rifles for pistol conversion are the mk1-2 s200 and the old falcon FN range or why not just buy a 2nd hand pcp pistol and save all the hassle of the conversion process....thats what i did.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I remember in one of the airgun rags there was an article about Tim Finley converting a rifle to a folding design and there was minimum length (can't remember the figure) he was not allowed to go below.....surely this rule would kick in irrespective of power output?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Gentlemen,
    the key word here is based it depends what's used from the original and how the job is done, you can't just shorten one or lengthen the other but you can build a new pistol with a significant proportion of donor parts from wherever you like, you can even build one from scratch with parts based on whatever you like.

Ian,
    Have you considered regulating the pistol? That would give you target class consistancy and the highest possible shot count,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

2000psi is approx equal to 137.8951456 bar
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

I saw this on another forum, hope you don't mind the cross forum posting, and thought it may be of interest to tayloriand;

http://www.airgun-tec.com/index.php/topic,921.0.html