Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Newbie to m/l

Blackburn, Lancashire, Land of a 1000 potholes

Exclamation Possible Newbie to m/l

I already have SGC.
    what m/l can I shoot with it. I know it has to be smoothbore, does it have to have a 24+ "barrel (thus eliminating smoothbore pistols), can I only shoot shot with it or can I use ball with out it being deemed as a sect 1.
    Sorry if its been asked before but I can't seem to find a clear answer in search.
    Ta.
    Stuart M, -You know your getting old when your first rifle appears in the collectors forum.

Has to be a smooth 24" from muzzle to point of ignition and <2" bore to be classed as a shotgun. You can load ball on a home office approved range but your fellow shooters will be diving for cover and banning you PDQ if your gun is choked

Usually choice would go for a ML musket with more metal than your average shotgun at the high pressure end of the bore so you can really stoke it up.

Plenty to choose from, original or repro, flint, percussion or match.

ML, Poss newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Has to be a smooth 24" from muzzle to point of ignition and <2" bore to be classed as a shotgun. You can load ball on a home office approved range but your fellow shooters will be diving for cover and banning you PDQ if your gun is choked

Usually choice would go for a ML musket with more metal than your average shotgun at the high pressure end of the bore so you can really stoke it up.

Plenty to choose from, original or repro, flint, percussion or match.
    So in a ML musket I can shoot ball I'm not just restricted shot. I'm certainley interested if thats the case, it'll be an extra interest as well as my shotgun. I just don't need the faf of getting a section 1
    Thanks Stuart.
    Stuart M, -You know your getting old when your first rifle appears in the collectors forum.

Hi Stuart, just a thought but if you have to go to a section 1 range to shoot a smoothbore why not just join the club and apply for sec 1 licence.? Its not difficult to do and will open up a whole new world of shooting to you.
    Best Wishes, Tim

Pssible newbie to ML

TIM,
    Thats a possibility for the future but for now I'm just looking if its viable to get to shoot a musket on my SGC. see whether or not I enjoy it and will keep the interest going. I'm also trying to get my very tolerant good lady interested, so I'm trying the historic angle as well
    I've got a local club at Blackburn so I'll probably go along there at some point and have a look at their ML set up.
    Ta
    Stuart.

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Pm

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    TIM,
    Thats a possibility for the future but for now I'm just looking if its viable to get to shoot a musket on my SGC. see whether or not I enjoy it and will keep the interest going. I'm also trying to get my very tolerant good lady interested, so I'm trying the historic angle as well
    I've got a local club at Blackburn so I'll probably go along there at some point and have a look at their ML set up.
    Ta
    Stuart.
    Stuart

Drop me a PM with any questions as I am a member there and shoot my front end loaders there.

Jim
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

So in a ML musket I can shoot ball I'm not just restricted shot. I'm certainley interested if thats the case, it'll be an extra interest as well as my shotgun. I just don't need the faf of getting a section 1
    Thanks Stuart.
    Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but I thought SGC only covered cartridge/load containing 5 shot or more shot under a certain size.

As per the Home Office Guidance doc, in 'chapter 2, Defintion and classification of firearms and ammunition'...
    "A shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession
    of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shot gun cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate."

So on my SGC I can buy a (12-bore) cartridge loaded with SG, for example Hull's Three Crown's buckshot (other cartridges are available ) as the 34g load contains 9 projectiles.

But for exampe the 12-bore Brenneke slug I was shown recently (apart from needing a rather open choke )also needs a condition on an FAC.

Apologies if I've got that wrong
    There are only three sports; hunting, shooting and fishing. Everything else is just a game.

Possible newbie M/L

This is where I'm confused I know if I use Slug in My shottie i need a Sect.1
    However Looking at the adverts for smoothbore m/l musket they say they can be bought on a SGC
    Do you use shot in the Musket or ball. That why I'm going down to a club in the near future to find out exactley what I can buy / shoot on SGC. I can't see a lot of point in using a musket as a shotgun when Ive already got one.
    Still -

No cartridge required for a muzzle loader, no restrictions on lead balls.

You can make paper ML cartridges, but they don't, of course, contain a primer.

I can't see a lot of point in using a musket as a shotgun when Ive already got one.
    Is it muzzle loading? Mega difference.

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Is it muzzle loading? Mega difference.

Yeah you're right Robin, Stuart said m/l in the very first post, and my quotes from the Home Office Guidance mention only cartridges.

I'll get me coat

Still, if that's the case I've learnt something today... so if it's a muzzle loader, and smooth bore, you can use ball on SGC?
    There are only three sports; hunting, shooting and fishing. Everything else is just a game.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    This is where I'm confused I know if I use Slug in My shottie i need a Sect.1
    However Looking at the adverts for smoothbore m/l musket they say they can be bought on a SGC
    Do you use shot in the Musket or ball. That why I'm going down to a club in the near future to find out exactley what I can buy / shoot on SGC. I can't see a lot of point in using a musket as a shotgun when Ive already got one.
    Still -
    I'd feel confident with what the adverts say, in this case: licensed dealers tend to err on the side of caution.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Thumbs up Possible newbie to M/L

Thanks guys the mist is begining to lift on this dark art.
    I'll keep researching it and visit Blackburn club, it looks like the way forward
    Cheers all

BP muzzle loading smoothbore

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyBuck View Post
    Forgive me if I've got this wrong, but I thought SGC only covered cartridge/load containing 5 shot or more shot under a certain size.

As per the Home Office Guidance doc, in 'chapter 2, Defintion and classification of firearms and ammunition'...
    "A shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession
    of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shot gun cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate."

So on my SGC I can buy a (12-bore) cartridge loaded with SG, for example Hull's Three Crown's buckshot (other cartridges are available ) as the 34g load contains 9 projectiles.

But for exampe the 12-bore Brenneke slug I was shown recently (apart from needing a rather open choke )also needs a condition on an FAC.

Apologies if I've got that wrong
    Quite right regarding 5 or more projectiles in a cartridge for s/gun, but this is a ball and loose powder , no cartridge so ok. I have just had this confirmed by my FEO this week as i have just bought a smooth bore front stuffer on my SGC. Its zouave 58 cal and shoots great groups at 25 yds with tight patched ball.

Hi Spily. What loads do you use with the .58? Iv got a 577 rifled muzzle loader and use about 70 grns of black powder or equivelent of pyrodex. Have tried lower and higher charges but doesnt seem to matter to the gun.
    Also where do you shoot it in the Louth area? Tim