Thread: Webley tempest .177 (1980)

Thumbs up Webley tempest .177 (1980)

Hi everyone, hope you are all fit and well?

A quick intro as I couldn't find a new members section.

My name is Andy and I'm 47 years old (good grief where did the years go?), I'm happily married and have 2 sons who are now grown up and could probably drink me under the table judging by the empty bottles I find in their rooms.

I started air-gun shooting in my early 20's and my first rifle was a .177 Walther target rifle, I can't remember the actual model but I can remember the look on the gun-shop owners face when I asked to part exchange for a Weinrauch HW77. I wish I still had the Walther!

I still have the HW77 (or is this my 2nd one?) although one or both of my sons managed to break the cocking lever on it without me knowing! Last night I found a supplier on-line who sells replacement parts for the HW77 and they are now on order. Looking for the bits has reignited my interest in air-guns again... which is why I'm here posting this.

I have a couple of shotguns but I've only been shooting twice in the last couple of years, I'm thinking about not renewing my shotgun licence when it's due for renewal as to be fair it's just not as much fun as hunting with an air-rifle. I enjoy the stalking and also the chance of a Rabbit still being there if I miss.

I've looked at a few threads in the 'Collectable' section and it's just occurred to me that I might have a collectable air pistol? What do you think?

It's a 1980 Webley Tempest .177 which seems to be in very good condition, I don't think it's had much use at all. I'd love to hear any opinions on it from those in the know.

The lettering looks a little worn but the gun itself is tidy.

Video added. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82NHpaX_ZZU
    Last edited by Seagull; 15-02-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Tempest

Hi Andy and welcome to the BBS Collectables Section

The Tempest was one of the last pistols made by Webley (when it was a British airgun manufacturer)

Yours is one of the earlier models; as time went on the packaging became simpler and poorer

Power is about 2.5- 3.0 Ft lbs of energy which equates to about 420 ft/sec with most pellets around 8 grains in weight

Accuracy is about 10 shots in 1" at 10 metres in the right hands, and it was a sad day that production ended

.177 is IMO the much better calibre because of the higher velocity and flatter trajectory
    The pistol has a rifled bore so it is best not to use the darts in it

All in all, a nice little recoiling pistol for plinking or informal target shooting and worth about £150 boxed and in a nice condition
    ATB
    John
    hold me back !!

John,
    That's great information and is very much appreciated.

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Hi andy

Hi andy ,welcome to the bbs ,a better airgun forum by far ; organised and controlled by a no nonsence and well respected web managers.with a helpfull knowledgeable membership ,i note you own one of the highly respected classic springers hw77 ,you will find there is a devout set of followers of each of the springer classics on the bbs and occasionaly there is an outbreak of debate sometimes quite vociferous but always welmanered as to who holds the crown ,i will only say of the of these great marks the fwb 124/7 have an almost fanatical following here and consider myself fortunate to be one of their number,i own a shotty or two and while i consider airgun hunting my first love with my beloved fwb in hand ;occasionaly pulling out my 1898 chas osbourne hammer gun[12g]
    gives me a real kick especialy when she/i can on occasion match up to a shiney new offering ,you might leave the shottys in the cupboard a while longer as it is a pain to have to tool up again if you sell it all .
    Regards bob.
    PS I HAVE A BOXED TEMPEST WHICH SITS IN A BAISE LINED BOX AND WOULD NEVER BE PARTED FROM IT;GREAT GUN LAST OF AN ERA.THE .177 AS MENTIONED IS THE CAL TO HAVE AND WITH ALL THE BITS AND PIECES YOU HAVE EVEN BETTER.mine has two tone wood beeman grips which i think look rather special.
    Last edited by red bob; 16-02-2010 at 11:50 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Hi Rob and thank you for the welcome and also the words of wisdom. I don't think my licence expires for another 3 years so I won't make any hasty decisions just yet.

I'm quite impressed with the look of the HW100, I've just been looking at some videos on youtube posted by Cubleycat (think I have that right). Not that I'm looking at buying anything really. I don't know anything about the FWB although the Feinwerkbau name sounds familiar, have they been on the go for a while?

Tempest

Hi Andy,
    Welcome to the best section on the BBS. I bought one of the first Tempest's on the market, I wish I knew what happened to it, I have other Webley's that I bought new in this period, but I can't remember what happened to my Tempest!!!! I do know it was well used at the time
    It's great that you have kept this pistol from new, I wish I'd bought two and kept one in the condition yours is in. Tempest's were available for so long without major modification, I think we all took them for granted....until 2006 when they disappeared
    ATB Rob
    BSA & Webley

Thanks Rob. The pistol was given to me by a friend so I can't claim any credit for it's present condition I'm afraid.

The bits arrived for my HW77 today and after a little hiccup the gun now fires again. The barrel, lever etc have been pitted all over by light rust, I'm gutted that it's been left in the bag in such a sad state. Where's a good place to get hold of a bluing kit and a new softer main spring?

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

Thumbs up re spares

the spares you require are obtained easily on line fron john knibbs or chambers on line ,some parts are a bit pricey but the service is very good generaly,springwise i only use the best swedish offering by titan[£20] in my fwb which gives full power and long long life as the cheaper ones arent up to the job for a quality hw or fwb; as far as a softer spring ,simply buying the correct spring and removing a coil or two ,but remembering to redress the cut end before reassembly.the fwbs[124/7] are argueably one of the finer spring airifles from the 80s 124 being .177 and 127 the .22 they certainly had weak points but as the song goes to few to mention and if a stablemate for you venerable 77 is required look no further.
    ps for a great ref book at a reasonable price get youself a copy of the latest blue book of airguns ;has a great database of most airguns and approx values plus historys.my local shop supplies full bluing kits at a fair market price www.proteksupplies.co.uk and if you have not cold blued before put a thread up on the bbs collectables for a few hints on this job as it isnt hard but requires an organised and carefull prep.if you go to the above websit there are two hw77 one of which has had the action and barrel highly polished and looks super maybe another option for yours?.the site also has a fully kitted hw100k which is one of the few modern multi shot airguns i would give the time of day for,the reload system is superb only rivaled by airarms in my opinion.
    regards bob.
    Last edited by red bob; 16-02-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

Bob that valuable information, thanks very much indeed.

That's a nice looking Tempest you have there. I agree - about £150. I have some similar (Tempest, Typhoon and Hurricane).

£150 is not a vast amount of money - I'd forget about that and just enjoy using it - I certainly do mine.