Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Daystate collectable?

Is this Daystate collectable?

Hi folks,

Wondering if I could get an idea of which section I should list the gun for sale?
    might it appeal to a collector?
    is it still valid as a FT rifle?
    and any ideas on value?

r.e. forum rules -
    Please no offers to buy as this is a valuation thread.

Details:
    Daystate Factory Built Custom FTR .177 cal

One-of-a-kind rifle in excellent condition. Circa 1993, built at the Daystate factory for an Airgun journalist.

Based on Mk2 Huntsman steel cylinder action (un-reg'd) with power adjuster... match trigger, taller breech block for fully floating barrel, one-off steel muzzle break, in a CR walnut t/hole stock... and I recently bought a sporter stock for it and had a brass ukneil 1/2" adaptor made for a silencer.

Link to pictures: http://s662.photobucket.com/albums/u...aystate%20FTR/

Any advice appreciated

Phil

Still a capable ft gun, and is collectable.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by DAFY555 View Post

Still a capable ft gun, and is collectable.
    Ditto . I've a Daystate Huntsman Midas in .177 from 2008, complete with its limited number verification certificate, and class that as collectable, so it is a big-up for the Daystate brand from me, too . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Cetainly collectable,,,,
    daystates one of the best you can get,,
    rgds scirroco

hmmm...I wonder if&when the electronic ones will appear on the Forgettables Section...

Did I say that out loud?

Sorry, please ignore.

electronics,,they can keepem ,it would be lovly to go back to basics,70s/80s before chronos,when any oil was gun oil,and you didnt worry ab ft,lbs pre chronos, any pellets would do as long as they were eley wasps,
    and any 22 ,,was a hunting rifle,
    rgds scirroco

Thanks collectors

Those were the days huh?... My view of starting out airgunning as a kid:

You could buy a gun if you were old enough to tie shoe laces (pre-velcro era).

Long summer saturdays shooting around my uncle's farm till dusk.

Being given balistic information from mate's older brothers such as - pellets keep accelerating to infinite speed when aiming down hill...

Same mate's brothers 'doing up' my petrified webley osprey with axle grease and a railway duty mainspring, then judging the performance by the length of the flame exiting the muzzle.

Great days for sure, but I believe we now live in much more interesting times...

I think maybe 400 for the daystate with both stocks... ?
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 19-02-2010 at 02:49 AM.

Ahhh now this is what you call a daystate,I just don't like the new fangled electronic Daystates with their fancy valves and gizmo's,sorry but blacked ally and electronics does nothing for Me.

I love this type of Daystate with its deep rich blued steel,simple knock open valve and a reliability occasionally marred by a failed O-ring which is no big deal.

My first FT rifle was an early 1990's Huntsman mk1 FTR with its walnut FT stock,brass swan neck bolt and the Tasco TR6-24x42......quality piece of kit...pity I wasn't into FT shooting back then as I am now.

Back to the OP,I'd say value depended on who the airgun journalist was and what he accomplished with it basically provenence so imho its a tricky question however it is still very much a valid FT rifle and certainly more accurate than any of us could ever wish to be.

You sir have a Rolls Royce of retro pre-charges

Good photos and a very nice rifle, stock in picture not thumbhole, or would that be the extra one you had.

Quote Originally Posted by kenparry View Post
    Good photos and a very nice rifle, stock in picture not thumbhole, or would that be the extra one you had.
    Look at the bottom pics

atvb

Dave
    ]Never explain. Your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe it anyway. ~ Elbert Hubbard[

Thank you Dave, did not see bottom pics. What a superb stock. Ken.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by pmcb View Post
    I think maybe 400 for the daystate with both stocks... ?
    Hmmm. Maybe a little toppy as I sold my .177 Huntsman Mk.I in a walnut FT stock with a few extras (inc. a CRX muzzle break ) for £250 plus post pre-credit crunch, but with both stocks, yours is certainly worth iro £350 plus post, of that I am sure .

Before you think of selling it however, do please remember: http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372921 . Atb: G.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thank you Gareth I wouldn't try to convert this to a sales thread (no selling, as mentioned in my opening post)

After reading your link again I wonder if I'd have your blessing to list in both catagories, or a link to a 'sales' thread posted in 'collectors'?

At around 350 I don't know if I should keep it (particularly after reading ikarma's kind words )

But - I find it a bit heavy since a pretty serious injury took me away from competition shooting... but then we do have some history together, and I enjoyed doing the stippling and oil finish on the sporter stock pictured - It was a nice little project as it came to me plain looking and un-chequred.

Thing is, I very much like the Skan R32 .22 I bought from that fine feller know as 'prewar' on here and it makes more sense to cash in some of my longer and heavier rifles to then look for another lightweight or bullpup type gun, this time in .177 ... I quite like 'black guns' but am scared of electronic ones with ignition keys! Maybe an AA S400 carbine in the smaller cal.

r.e. provenance, I don't know if it's right to mention the name of the journalist / contributer who commisioned the gun. But I think it's fair to say (as we regularly competed against each other) that at the time he owned it we were both shooting in 'B' class, and I was arguably MUCH better than him particularly after I bought his rifle !! Though I was not as good a shot as his Son

I remember I paid him £650 for the gun, which was about right at the time...

Enough rambling. Sorry for the long post, and thanks to all for the help.

Phil

Cool

Hi pmcb

I have a couple of these fine guns that i've owned for quite a few years, i can't remember exactly what i paid for them (galloping senility )

my two are mk1's and both in 177cal..

SPORTER

TARGET

The sporter had a nasty single plate trigger so when i bought the other with the better two stage trigger, i stripped the trigger and copied it

Yours is a peachy mk2 i believe

Regards, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Nice guns, John

Grrr, now I want to keep it (again) because it feels like I belong to an important club !!

p.s. in my view - even the big block 'match' trigger ain't all that great

ATB
    Phil